VX / VY Flash ECU - Simulating running conditions on bench?

Information and discussion of EFI hardware and specifications
Chr0m3
cars: 2004 V6 VY Series 2

Re: VX / VY Flash ECU - Simulating running conditions on bench?

Post by Chr0m3 »

pman92 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:02 pm Also, confirm the ref signal is going into pin B9.
And the signal generator or whatever your using is grounded to the same ground as the PCM and B10.

VX Flash ECU Wiring.png
Yep exactly that setup, still nada haha.

I had B9 hooked up to signal, signal ground hooked up to B10, however the generator wouldn't technically be hooked to the same ground as the PCM.

I am new to all this, it's possible something isn't setup correctly there, I'll double check thanks.
pman92
cars: HZ One Tonner
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

I would loop B10 and join it to the PCM ground as well. The signal ground is pretty close to power ground in the real world. Might not make any difference, but who knows.

I would check the signal with a scope if you have one.
I'm not sure what your using to generate the signal, but if its something with only an open collector output, and its normally the ignition module providing the 5v pullup on the REF wire, then you might not have any signal at all.

What are you using to generate the signal?
VR-VY Holden BCM Simulator: View Post
MrModule.com.au
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

I repeated your test on my bench with the same results. TP5 with Enhanced 0.9 ADX to log. 10, 50, 100, 500 hz at 50%, on B9, B10. I think maybe the PCM needs more grounds connected for more of it to work internally than when we're just flashing. Just a thought.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Chr0m3

Post by Chr0m3 »

pman92 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:03 pm I would loop B10 and join it to the PCM ground as well. The signal ground is pretty close to power ground in the real world. Might not make any difference, but who knows.

I would check the signal with a scope if you have one.
I'm not sure what your using to generate the signal, but if its something with only an open collector output, and its normally the ignition module providing the 5v pullup on the REF wire, then you might not have any signal at all.

What are you using to generate the signal?
I'm using a hantek lab oscilloscope specifically the DSO2D15 to generate the signal.

antus wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:43 pm I repeated your test on my bench with the same results. TP5 with Enhanced 0.9 ADX to log. 10, 50, 100, 500 hz at 50%, on B9, B10. I think maybe the PCM needs more grounds connected for more of it to work internally than when we're just flashing. Just a thought.
Thanks, it's good to confirm that it's not only me haha.
Chr0m3

Post by Chr0m3 »

pman92 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:56 pm
Chr0m3 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:52 pm Good point, should of mentioned I did try a variety of frequencies lower and higher haha no matter what I did nothing changed.

Didn't think it'd be right but I was just trying to get literally anything from it.
Are you checking for injector pulse?
Or EST signal?
Or data logging to see RPM?

Haven't forgot to turn VATS off if your just checking injector pulse?
Sorry only just seen this, vats is off and passing and I'm logging RPM right now, the RPM is calculated by the 3x to my understanding so should see something.
Chr0m3

Post by Chr0m3 »

Bit of an update, I have now tried with all ecu grounds hooked up to power supply (including 3x ground), then put the scope ground on the main PSU ground and set it to square wave, amplitude 5v, tried 0-100 hz and nothing still unfortunately..

Ignition etc is on (can write to an ecu in this setup no issue), no vats on ecu as well.

I'm logging RPM through tuner pro, just hoping to see that change, but nothing.

Not sure what else it wants to see at this point.

Keep in mind, I'm only trying to get it "running" enough for it to deliver spark for some testing I'm doing, I have also checked live data on scan tool and 3x isn't detected at all so really not sure.
pman92
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

I'm certain I've had one setup to check there's injector pulse after reflashing with VATS off at some point.
I'll have a look if I get some time on the weekend, and see if I can get it working and what signals it requires.
MrModule.com.au
Chr0m3

Post by Chr0m3 »

pman92 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:12 pm I'm certain I've had one setup to check there's injector pulse after reflashing with VATS off at some point.
I'll have a look if I get some time on the weekend, and see if I can get it working and what signals it requires.
That would be much appreciated, this will hopefully help me speed up my spark cut rev limiter testing.
pman92
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

Ok finally got around to checking this out again. And Yes I do have a bench setup working.

There is an arduino buried underneath which is generating a 50hz 5v square wave of 50% duty cycle (confirmed with oscilloscope) - connected to REF input pin B9
Pin B10 (crank reference ground) is grounded.
REF signal.png
REF signal.png (10.02 KiB) Viewed 1274 times
That is the only input to PCM. There is no 18x input connected.

I have checked with my scope and confirmed:
- EST output on B3 is working
- Injector #1 pulse output on E4 is working
- Fuel pump relay control E10 is working
- Bypass control B4 initially works, but switches straight off (assuming PCM is going into limp mode and reverting to base timing, as nothing else is connected and DTCs will be logged).
So essentially I have an EST signal (even though not required with bypass disabled), fuel pump and injector operation = running engine.

VATS must be disabled in this PCM which I've had here for years. Its a DTCF calibration. I don't believe there are any other changes. I have attached the complete unmodified bin which I have just read with the flash tool if you want to check. This is a complete BIN with the registers left alone, so you should be able to flash it straight on a PCM if you wish to.

I checked in Tunerpro, using the VX_V6_$BD_Enhanced_v0.9c ADX ( viewtopic.php?t=2518 )
And its showing a flickering 988 / 989 RPM
Attachments
DTCF Bench PCM.bin
(128 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
MrModule.com.au
Chr0m3

Post by Chr0m3 »

pman92 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 6:06 pm Ok finally got around to checking this out again. And Yes I do have a bench setup working.

There is an arduino buried underneath which is generating a 50hz 5v square wave of 50% duty cycle (confirmed with oscilloscope) - connected to REF input pin B9
Pin B10 (crank reference ground) is grounded.
REF signal.png
That is the only input to PCM. There is no 18x input connected.

I have checked with my scope and confirmed:
- EST output on B3 is working
- Injector #1 pulse output on E4 is working
- Fuel pump relay control E10 is working
- Bypass control B4 initially works, but switches straight off (assuming PCM is going into limp mode and reverting to base timing, as nothing else is connected and DTCs will be logged).
So essentially I have an EST signal (even though not required with bypass disabled), fuel pump and injector operation = running engine.

VATS must be disabled in this PCM which I've had here for years. Its a DTCF calibration. I don't believe there are any other changes. I have attached the complete unmodified bin which I have just read with the flash tool if you want to check. This is a complete BIN with the registers left alone, so you should be able to flash it straight on a PCM if you wish to.

I checked in Tunerpro, using the VX_V6_$BD_Enhanced_v0.9c ADX ( viewtopic.php?t=2518 )
And its showing a flickering 988 / 989 RPM
Thanks so much for confirming this, should be working the way I'm doing this but I'll look into this more now I know it certainly can be done!

Cheers

Edit: I have this all running on bench now, ecu in EST spark mode and seems to be happy and I'm getting EST output etc.

Pretty much just hooked up B10 to ground on an Arduino and B9 to a digital pin, wrote some code that allows me to input an RPM and it outputs a square wave 5v at the hz needed for that rpm, so thanks everyone for your input.