GM Can to ALDL

Tre-Cool
cars: VY SS UTE, VX Drag Car

Re: GM Can to ALDL

Post by Tre-Cool »

all e38's supported dod, but id leave the plug off & never use it.

i dont know why anyone would want that shit anyway.

I know for certain that in a ve commodore up until 2009, so 07,08,09 gearboxes are inter-changeable. the only proviso being you need to do a full flash of a 9cva box back to an 08 or earlier os to have ecu/tcm communication. Now until i get back to my workshop on thursday and test my theory i believe the 09 tcm tune will talk with some changes to the CAN data it's setup to monitor, & if that works...

I will put an early ecu (07 ve OS) into my other vy ute which runs a 2010 ecu/tcm combo & see if i can get them happy. Generally you get a U100 DTC code (TCM lost communication) when the cals are mismatched, if that works then it's gonna be interesting. pre 09 tunes dont do throttle blips on downshifts.

Interesting, id have though they would run the reverse lights through the NSBU on the side of the box like they have since they installed the 4l60e's in the vt.

in my case i'lll pull the engine harness and put all new wiring & plugs in place. at the moment it's all dodgy ran through the passenger door while it's on the hoist.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

ben_att wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:17 pm https://www.agtengineering.com.au/canbu ... -solutions

That’s his website for anyone interested.

Geez this place is like 10 minutes from my house, never heard of them before!
ben_att
cars: VF
VZ
VY

Post by ben_att »

Interesting, so how’s it going so far? Have you got one running?

What I’m interested in is, is there any advantage to running the VF OS in my E38 and 6L80 over the VZ E38/VE 6L80 OS? I feel like the responsiveness of both the engine and gearbox is improved in the VF over the VE, not sure if that’s just me but is this an OS thing or mainly in the tune?
Obviously it would be easier to run a VZ OS in the VZ so all the comms work as normal and VATS etc, but would it perform the same as how I have it now with the VF stuff?
The other thing I was interested in doing is I have some VF Bi Modal mufflers and I believe they’re controlled by the VF BCM, this would only work for me if I kept the VF OS in my E38, so would need to do something else if I was to go back to VZ OS too, I didn’t want to have to manually turn it on and off like a lot of kits online do
Tre-Cool

Post by Tre-Cool »

i have the original vz ecu os talking to the 6l80 & all the factory pim stuff. abs seems to only be happy if the pim,ebcm are both programmed for a 4l65e.

sadly when the pim is configured for 4l65e it doesnt turn on the reverse relay output. when programmed for a 5l40e it does turn on reverse relay but then i have no traction control...

personally i couldnt give to 2 shits for traction control :-)
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

:comp: :driving: :punk: :thumbup: :D

It shouldnt be too hard to get a small micro with a relay board and a uart and passively sniff the aldl for the reverse status and control an extra relay to run them. Just need to log the bus and figure out if its reverse on and off, or just keeps sending out a reverse selected or other gear information (more likely). Then put it on the ALDL bus before the PIM.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Tre-Cool

Post by Tre-Cool »

Theres can relays on the market that do the reverse light stuff, but it's expensive for what it is.

Im actually wondering did the 5 speed alloytecs even have traction control?
yoda69
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual

Post by yoda69 »

The 5 speed autos were only ever fitted to the SV6, Calais and Adventra, all with the high output V6. The lower models had the low output V6 and 4 speed auto.
All Calais and Adventra 5 speed autos would have had traction as standard .
The SV6 Ute didn’t, not sure if it was an option.
ben_att
cars: VF
VZ
VY

Post by ben_att »

Interesting, with my cross 6 1 tonne, the PIM is set to AWD and 4l60 and it triggers the reverse relay, but if you set it to AWD then the EBCM will bring up errors.
http://www.rpmextreme.com/Product/278/6 ... odule.aspx
One of these little modules looks easy enough to fix that problem.

Luckily my L98 crewman comes factory with no traction control, so shouldn’t matter 😂

So with it communicating, does it drive or are there still some little issues to work through?
Tre-Cool

Post by Tre-Cool »

car drives fine with or without the traction control. u just have the trac off symbol up all the time.

for now because i want the reverse relay on, in the ecu tune i have the traction control enable temp set to 140c though. just to make sure it's always off.

I put a writeup on my web page here, which includes a new video of it on the dyno.
https://www.torqueup.net/2024/06/11/pro ... tegration/

While i've seen that reay setup before it's rather pricey to just control a reverse relay. I'd rather look into using something that could do a bit more. So i looked into the canchecked devices & got an MFD15, but probably should of gotten an MFD28...

Does the Crewman have 4 wheel ABS still?