VR Ute

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
brindo

Re: VR Ute

Post by brindo »

I just see a lot of people fitting them backwards and getting absolutely roasted for it. Usually by someone who has no doubt made the same mistake themselves.
The car could be absolutely immaculate, but if the engine covers are on backwards...
brindo

Re: VR Ute

Post by brindo »

I have cleaned up the centre console. Still have to replace the padding in the arm rest but a stint in the sonocleaner took all the dirt and grime out of the cover.

In the utes they have a flat blanking plate at the rear of the console, so I have got the one from the old VS wagon wreck, which has the rear AC vents in it and butchered it. Have cut out all the vents etc and glued in a piece of aluminium, then covered the lot with liquid epoxy. Once the epoxy sets it finishes up quite nicely with a small meniscus around the edges and holes. Pretty handy if you making gauge pods etc. Still needs to be sanded once it sets and can tend to get a few air bubbles as well, but I find dancing the heat gun over it gets rid of most of them. I think they look ok for minimal effort.

In this I will mount a twin USB charging point and an additional cigarette lighter socket. This should give us an option for an FM transmitter to connect up to the factory radio that is out of the way (but it won’t be hands free). It won’t look factory and it’s not perfect by any means but was all I could think of to hide some of this out of the way and still be reasonably accessible. Plus no one will see my handy work. The USB charging point I bought has a digital volt meter built in too, but it will be too hard to see to be of any value.
Centre Console.JPG
Centre Console.JPG (88.47 KiB) Viewed 347 times
I have bought the cheapest 2 channel Pioneer amp i could find, but this will have to wait till the car comes back from the painters and I can work out where I am going to install it - most likely behind the seats.