Fault codes

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
kelvin
cars: Commodore

Fault codes

Post by kelvin »

I've just rebuilt my engine after a major failure (VN computer). Same specs, but now runs VERY rich, black soot out the exhaust. No obvious faults, the only thing I figured could cause that much overrich would be a MAP sensor showing full throttle. It's flashing 12 (OK) with the appropriate terminals shorted. But when I unplug the MAP sensor it still flashes 12. I would have thought fault code 34 or something. Why is it so. Also any help to track down the rich problem.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Re: Fault codes

Post by VL400 »

Does unplugging the MAP make any difference to how it runs? Might be worth logging it (if you can) and see what all the sensors do - could also be a coolant or intake temp sensor thats reading very cold.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Yep, or bad fuel reg or blocked or reversed fuel pipes causing high fuel pressure.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
kelvin
cars: Commodore

Post by kelvin »

I'd like to log it, but I'm not that clever, yet, may need to work on that, but would obviously help. It's difficult to try unplugging MAP as the car only runs for a short time then fouls up. I need to unplug the fuel pump relay for a while to clear it out. It must be something I've done wrong in putting the wiring loom back as it was runnimg fine before.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Def check what antus suggested too, a blocked (squashed or kinked) return line will cause it to run pretty rich.
vn5000
cars: vn v8 commodore

Post by vn5000 »

Have you tried starting and letting it run for 30 sec without the map sensor connected .If you have and it still doesnt log a fault code i would be suspecting a faulty ecm .Also try checking the map output voltage at the ecm with engine stopped and running.