Flash PCM's Made realtime

Thought Of A Good Feature To Add Tell Everyone About It Here
VX L67 Getrag

Flash PCM's Made realtime

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Hey all,

This has been touched on before & was told good idea & put n the things to do but....

Wondering if we had so much trouble with the earlier ecotec going realtime with all the bus comm's will it be of an use if we do?

Cheers VX L67 Getrag
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Re: Flash PCM's Made realtime

Post by VL400 »

Using the same method then yeah bus chatter will be an issue with TP, there are ways around it and will be looking at the different options.
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

SOUNDS GOOD! :thumbup:

If you need any testers let me know, normally I have some car around I can test it in, but wil need to get a flash based PCM socketed & have any mod's done needed for real time!

It's just a bit of a P.I.T.A. with flash every little change & then with Tunerpro not being able to fix the check sum, having double flash everytime!

BRING ON REAL-TIME! LOL

Cheers VX L67 Getrag
sprattzvx
cars: Vxl67
Ke30 2door

Post by sprattzvx »

Also waiting for real time flash based ability before going with nvram. Using flash tool sorta kills the whole real time idea really. Any round about rough idea on when this could happen?
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

If you are running the NVRAM, you do have realtime now. Problem is that its more complicated to remove the flash chip and populate the on board header of a flash based pcm. Doable, but its not a plug in socket job like with memcal based pcms. That and none of us have a flash based car ourselves, but we do have flash pcms on the bench. So it is possible, but its up to VL400 when/if he wants to do it.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
sprattzvx
cars: Vxl67
Ke30 2door

Post by sprattzvx »

Im vx l67 memcal based but was told theres issues with real time on vx vy atm so havent purchased a nvram yet.
festy
cars: Alfa Romeos

Post by festy »

Do the flash based PCMs have the busses brought out to an edge connector like the 808s?
If they do, you could plug an NVRAM board in there and just lift the CE line on the flash chip.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

There is a header near the flash chip that has all the required signals but when I was looking at it ages ago I think the memory bank switching was done differently with that header vs the main flash chip. So started looking at a way to have the NVRAM just handle the cal segment instead, just never finished anything.
barana
cars: mitz L300
holdens i have owned
TD,TE TG gemini
HBII LC4 UC x2 torana
VH Commodore
EH Special

Post by barana »

We could go to a bounty system if that would encourage someone to innovate and develop.There are bounty websites out there that manage it all and we could refer to it on this forum....
Each of those who wish for a feature can thro $20 in the hat or something, then a later someone produces the feature --- they then get the kitty. Its done a bit in the Commodore Amiga 'retro computing' community - with good successes.
"Its alright for god, he doesnt drive a kingswood.Even the nuns only have toranas"-Ted Bullpit
Me:yeah,corse,God's a Holden man
Mate:whaaa?
Me:Psalm 83:15 so pursue them with your Tempest and terrify them with your Storm
A Holden & a pontiac
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

I did get 1 working with ostrich realtime, got VL400 to wire the 32 pin floppy computer cable directly to the place of the chip & worked well so long as the cable wasn't too long & didn't get bumped too much!

I eventually lost being able to use it which I think was due to a wire lifting, so think the best long term method although it cost's a bit more is soldering a socket base in place of the original chip & use an adapter!