Alloytec ecu tdm removal

fjwb
cars: FJ Holden V6 supercharged

Alloytec ecu tdm removal

Post by fjwb »

Im wondering if anyone here has played with the vz ecu yet? I'm doing an alloytec conversion on an Fj Holden. There are a couple of companies offering a custom harness/ecu on a changeover basis but at what I consider a ridiculous price ( one is $1500) there is also another I have found that will sell a custom harness for a good price but still wants another $300 to reflash the ecu to remove the tdm. I'm more than happy to pay for someone's expertise but don't want to get taken for a ride.
Does anyone know if the PCM and ecu needs to be linked together once the bcm is removed, or is it the presence of the bcm which requires the other parts to be linked to it?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, seems not too many have played with these yet.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Alloytec ecu tdm removal

Post by antus »

I think holden202 has had a look at it, but the VZ Alloytech is a bosch pcm and very different to the delco/delphi ones of other models. I think HP Tuners supports it, but does not have many tables defined. Generally speaking its going to be an expensive PITA to work with. :thumbdown: Damn shame they didnt use a delphi pcm.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
fjwb

Post by fjwb »

Thanks for the info, Im not really worried about the tune. More interested in running it stand alone without the bcm, but would still need the PCM to control auto trans.
As I mentioned there are a couple of businesses offering the service, with v6 conversions offering it at around $1500. I don't mind paying for a service but to me it sounds way too much. That said it obviously can be done.
Why is it that Bosch electronics are so rarely toyed with?
Even from my days of working at a dealership the Bosch stuff was even unknown to most of the engineers at Holden, left most of them scratching their heads when something went wrong.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah i've fiddled with the tune on my VZ alloyec 190 / 5 speed auto ute.....

obviously i haven't had the need to play with the VATS stuff as its in a commodore....

so let me get this straight, you have the ECM (engine) and TCM (tranny) but you want to get rid of the BCM (body) .... so most likely you only want to remove VATS ?

if thats the case then yes it should be able to be done with HP Tuners software, the problem is though Alloytecs use 4 HPT credits to do it, but if you are willing to pay for the credits i'd be happy to help.

the other thing though is where are you located ?
ejukated

Post by ejukated »

There's no cal option in HPT to disable vats. It'd most likely have to be an OS patch like the later Delphi controllers (post ls1)
fjwb

Post by fjwb »

That's correct, need to keep PCM as it is still running the auto. I wonder how these other people are doing it? Am happy to pay for it to be done just don't want to be ripped off! Seems the Bosch motoronic is a popular ecu now, surprised there is so few out there that have been tampered with!
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Editing the Bosch ME9 (I think it is) is quite big with BMWs and other euro brands, but I dont think many have tried to compare the VZ variant. You could look in to the BMW tools and see what you can find, but you are probably going to have to spend money to find out what doesnt work before you find the answer, if there is one that works without more development. Maybe email HPT and ask, since they already have the ability to read and write and have mapped out a decent chunk of it (more than I thought - now I have had another look since my previous post).
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
fjwb

Post by fjwb »

Yeah I emailed a guy in the uk who plays with them in saabs and BMW. He also mentioned Holden alloytec on his site. He got back to me and stated that he could tune them but had never been asked to remove the tdm. I got the impression he wasn't interested in trying.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I wonder how hard it would be to run stand alone with manual transmission?

They seem to be a good candidate alternative to suby H6 conversion in a Volkswagen.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
norm426
cars: Too Many!

Post by norm426 »

Did anyone ever work out removing TDM from the alloytec?
I want to put one in my boat, it would be a neat package with pcm on the engine and just a neat package overall