VE Instrument Cluster EEPROM Programming

Information and discussion of EFI hardware and specifications
9thousand
cars: ve ss

Re: VE Instrument Cluster EEPROM Programming

Post by 9thousand »

Woohoo!! That's great news. I may be able to assist by asking a friend of mine for an auto ss cluster. What are your thoughts on this? Are you in sydney? Shoot me a pm with a contact # ill be in touch
ZerOne
cars: VE Calais V 6.0L
Honda CBR919 Fireblade

Post by ZerOne »

Hi there 9thousand,

Sorry for the late reply, I have loaned my EEPROM programmer out for a second time....
We are currently at the final stages of fitting a HSV E1 Cluster to an SS manual.
(He is uploading the modified EEPROM as we speak).
Fingers crossed, If all goes well, I will probably get the EEPROM programmer back next weekend...

I think I am pretty close to sorting out the V8 Cluster EEPROM information required to get ANY cluster working on ANY V8....
(There dumps that I have received are starting to make some sense)....

What this means is that we are one step closer to having software generate an EEPROM from scratch for V8 models.
For the V6 models, I only have 1 EEPROM dump, and even that dump, there are quite a few unknowns. (Its from an Omega, so I am assuming its an Auto).
I dont know if its a SIDI 3.0L, or a 3.6L.....

What I really need is ANYONE that wants to swap out there cluster for another model on a VE, and have it programmed for free.
(I.E. I send the programmer and clip out, people send me dumps of the new cluster, and existing cluster, and I merge them both together, and send them back for uploading)..

If anyone is interested in this, then please let me know...

Cheers
Matti
jezzab

Post by jezzab »

ZerOne wrote:Ooooh Yeah, trust me, it makes a Huuuuge difference !!!!

Oh, and as a bonus it works with the Infotainment Colour LCD main EEPROM as well. (Which is good because taking that thing apart is a right royal pain in the freckle...

I should be getting a second EEPROM dump from a HSV cluster, and an SS Manual soonish....

So that leaves just SS Auto (Unless its the same as the Calais V8 Auto), and the SV6 Auto/Manual before we should have enough info to modify any EEPROM for any model...
(I hope :wtf: )
What tricky stuff are you playing with the Infotainment LCD? :p Think i might have to get a clip
ZerOne
Honda CBR919 Fireblade

Post by ZerOne »

I ??? Think ??? I have worked out how to set the VIN number for the Main unit, via the EEPROM. (Very easy with a Clip and programmer)...
I just havent physically removed my stock and installed the test unit to verify.

I have also soldered a fly lead and socket on to a fascia unit, so as I can swap EEPROMs in and out of it quickly. (The Clip doesnt work on the fascia)....
I have a theory that the VGA input, startup screen, and background colours can be set / enabled via this EEPROM.

The main unit EEPROM has stores the VIM setting, and maybe a copy of the fascia settings as well. (I am not too sure)....

At the moment I am at the very early stages, so I have yet to connect the new fascia up to make sure it has been programmed OK to use with my existing main unit.
Hopefully I will get a chance to have a play today.

I will keep everyone posted of my findings...

Cheers
Matti
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Sounds interesting. Quite an interesting thread this...
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
ZerOne
Honda CBR919 Fireblade

Post by ZerOne »

Aaargh.... Been one of those days....

I have loaned my EEPROM programmer to someone to try and get a HSV cluster to work on an SS manual....
The memory locations that I had worked out to get a HSV cluster to work on my Auto V8 Calais, arent the same as for the SS...
So I am trying mass cut and paste of data to try and get the HSV cluster to work on the SS....
Disappointing....

Next, I tried testing the VE deck and fascia today...
I think I stuffed the spare fascia. (Im hoping its a bad soldering joint on the EEPROM socket)
I tested the spare main unit I had (I programmed the VIN only to see if it would work).
Because the fascia that came with the deck could not power up, I was getting a vehicle mismatch when using my original fascia...

So looks like much much more work to do :thumbdown:
jezzab

Post by jezzab »

ZerOne wrote:I ??? Think ??? I have worked out how to set the VIN number for the Main unit, via the EEPROM. (Very easy with a Clip and programmer)...
I just havent physically removed my stock and installed the test unit to verify.

I have also soldered a fly lead and socket on to a fascia unit, so as I can swap EEPROMs in and out of it quickly. (The Clip doesnt work on the fascia)....
I have a theory that the VGA input, startup screen, and background colours can be set / enabled via this EEPROM.

The main unit EEPROM has stores the VIM setting, and maybe a copy of the fascia settings as well. (I am not too sure)....

At the moment I am at the very early stages, so I have yet to connect the new fascia up to make sure it has been programmed OK to use with my existing main unit.
Hopefully I will get a chance to have a play today.

I will keep everyone posted of my findings...

Cheers
Matti
Definately sounds interesting mate. Keep us updated!
ZerOne
Honda CBR919 Fireblade

Post by ZerOne »

Well some progress with Radio/HVAC module..

I had a try solder joint on the EEPROM socket that I soldered on the fascia board, which stopped the second fascia from working at all.

I can now quickly swap EEPROMs over for the Fascia module, and I uploaded the dumped EEPROM from my original fascia to the new fascia and got that working 100%.
(Sat Nav, Park assist, Radio, CD, HVAC Dat/Time all function correctly)....

The next step now is to slowly change the EEPROM data on the fascia, and try and find out what mem locations affect the fascia to main unit matching...

Also, it looks like all the fun stuff is located on the Main unit EEPROM.
So at some point in time, I will need to try the fascia with the new main Unit I have, and make sure changing the VIN number on the main unut EEPROM allows the system to work in the car. (I.E. there are no other values set that are used to match the main system to the car).....
ZerOne
Honda CBR919 Fireblade

Post by ZerOne »

Oh, and before I forget, updates for the SS to HSV cluster...
I am having BIG problems trying to locate the following....

1) how to enable Triple LCD Screens on a Single LCD screen EEPROM.....
And
2) How to Change an Auto Cluster EEPROM to a Manual Cluster EEPROM (And vice versa).....

I have got a HSV Auto Cluster working in a Manual SS....
The triple LCDs are working, but I have a temporary ABS and Traction Fault on Power Up....
(The Warinig Animations display half way through, but then stop....)
ABS and Traction control still work (Which is unusual, as normally when you have these errors, the systems are disabled)....

So the cluster for all intents and purposes works,, apart from the annoying startup errors...
I have found EEPROM locations 0320 to 034F to be VITALLY important for the majority of the chassis settings.....

I have aldo found that every setting has a secondary backup EEPROM location, though it appears the Cluster kind of ignores these backup locations, as I can set them to whatever I want, and it doesnt affect the operation (for better or worse)... :wtf:
ZerOne
Honda CBR919 Fireblade

Post by ZerOne »

I should probably start a new thread for the Colour LCD Radio/HVAC stuff, but anyway,

Some good progress made today.
I an now confirm that to program the VE Radio/HVAC main unit to work in another VE, all you need to do is set the VIN number on the main unit EEPROM. (I cant remember the exact location, but it is very obvious, as it is stored as ASCII, and usually starts with 78L or 79L)

Also if you want to pair a Fascia with a Main Unit, you will need to set the following locations on both the Fascia and Main Unit EEPROMS

0031 -> 0033 Main Fascia EEPROM
00B1 -> 00B3 Main Fascia EEPROM
00F9 -> 00FB Main Radio / HVAC EEPROM

The values in the above locations needs to be exactly the same.... (Eg 00 10 68)

Finally, you can change the startup animations for the VE Colour LCD Radio/HVAC unit, as well as the startup text, by setting some values in the Main Unit EEPROM.

At present I do not know where these locations are yet, but hopefully I have them sorted out soonish...