Datalogging/telemetry with a wireless router

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
VX L67 Getrag

Re: Datalogging/telemetry with a wireless router

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

I too am following this closely, I've attached a quick word doc with the shopping list ready to buy if this does get followed through...LOL

Nice work FESTY as always!!!!
Attachments
Festy Shopping list.doc
(24 KiB) Downloaded 330 times
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

yet another thing I've got wrong in that shopping list I had an asus 520-gC listed & I don't think that will work as festy had 520-gU in particular!

Woops sorry!
festy
cars: Alfa Romeos

Post by festy »

I'm not 100% sure if those ebay serial LCDs will do the job now that I think about it...
My plan (to be implemented shortly) is to have the control buttons on the screen module, and button events sent back down the serial line to the AP to process.
The ebay modules look like they have provisions for a keypad matrix, but I haven't read through the datasheet to work out how the key presses are handled.
The fact that they support a keypad makes me think there must be a way of transmitting them, unless it's only supported by the I2C interface....
The other advantage of my LCD module is that it adds a bunch of analog and digital inputs that can be logged as well, and some digital outputs that could be used as progressive shift lights, gear indicators or warning lights etc - and a PWM output in case I get around to faking a VSS signal from a GPS input ;)
With a bit of extra coding, a wideband controller could be directly connected to the display (either as 0-5v analog signal, serial, or I2C) and run as a standalone WB display without needing the AP being connected.

but being able to use all off-the-shelf bits might be worth sacrificing these extra features, so will see if I can support both display types.
I could probably build the displays like mine for under $50, but it's starting to turn into an expensive-and-dodgy hack, which goes against my scottish heritage ;)
I just was this while cruising ebay - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2004-LCD-Dis ... 0289036456 - looks perfect (and uses my good friend the CP2102 usb UART), but doesn't support buttons. The PIC that drives it has a couple of unused inputs, but would require a firmware re-write to make use of them and I couldn't find the source published anywhere - so it's close, but no cigar :(

The WL-520gC doesn't have USB support, so isn't going to be much use as a logger ;)
It should be possible to convert a gC to a gU (see http://mightyohm.com/files/wifiradio/Je ... L520gU.pdf) but probably isn't worth the hassle considering there isn't much difference in price.

Also, the LCD will need to be a 20 char x 4 row (commonly referred to as a 20x4 or 2004) - the '1602' displays are 16 chars x 2 lines, so those ones won't do.

I'm setting up a repository for the broadcom OpenWRT packages I've had to build (mainly XML and serial modules) and will post the URL once it's ready in case anyone wants to check out where it's up to, but still a long way to go :(

The TP5 wireless integration is also being worked on. It won't be ready any time soon though.
festy

Post by festy »

I fixed the slow loading issue by caching the parsed adx to flash so only the first time loading each adx is slow.
It dropped the time to load and start recordning with the 12P adx from 51 seconds to 0.2 seconds :shock:
If the adx gets modified between logging, it works that out and the next load is a full (slow) parse - so no issues with stale cache.

logscreen.jpg
logscreen.jpg (11.41 KiB) Viewed 6818 times
festy

Post by festy »

Still making progress...
Top 2 lines are the ADX objects with IDs 1-4.
3rd line is lap count (7 laps here), last lap (10.81 secs), and difference between last and best laps (last was 4.9s slower than my best).
Bottom line is current lap, and best lap.
The lap trigger is any one of the spare digital input pins, with the ADX ID set to "Lap".
I'm using C15, grounding to trigger a lap completion event.
Not a very neat screen layout, but I'll worry about that later ;)
festylog_laptimer.jpg
festylog_laptimer.jpg (49.58 KiB) Viewed 6786 times
The1

Post by The1 »

haha nice one fest, i can see you at the races now in the crowd with that big directional antenna :D I know there's definite interest in the this setup :thumbup:
festy

Post by festy »

No directional antenna, just a half-decent omni and a big amplifier :twisted:
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Holy crap this just gets better & better!!!!

Love your work festy, will be good to see this 1 go till completion! :)
festy

Post by festy »

Now This looks like a better platform for the logger, and price looks good too.
700MHZ ARM with 128MB ram running linux with SD/USB/DVI and GPIO etc for $25 :shock:
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

That is a nice peice of kit for the price! I think I might get me one of them when they come in to stock. Being linux simplifies USB host mode drivers a whole lot, if you were to connect it to a usb '808 (compared to bare metal MCU environments, which are usually what you get for that price).
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396