How does this all work?

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
Holden202T

Re: How does this all work?

Post by Holden202T »

nah man its all relevent information :D

the two analog outputs on my LC1 can be programmed to be wide or narrow band depending what you need .... i dunno if i would use it for the narrow band to the ECM only because i don't think its as accurate as the factory narrow bands but if you've only got one hole in the exhaust for a sensor it is a good way to get around it.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

hyper24 wrote:So does every wideband O2 sensor need some sort of box connected so we can get the correct signals?
What type of signal comes straight out of the wideband?
I want to know if its possible to wire the wideband upto my laptop and say get the wideband readings in with efilive V4 or something like that so I can get wideband O2 readings with TPS and RPM etc.
There must of been a way people were doing it before, unless the AFRs are logged against RPM and other signals then there almost pointless?
as far as im aware all the ones out there have some sort of controller which powers the sensor and takes the readings and then pumps them out in a usable format (ie. your analog outputs etc)

i think the only way you can get the readings in the aldl data stream is as said above with custom code that can interpret it and put out the aldl stream.

before the $12P code that i'm testing was available i had the LC-1 connected up to the car with another Innovate product a SSI-4 which is a 4 channel data logger and connected to it i had a map sensor, coolant sensor, and an rpm pulse so i could log them all in the one stream so then i had usable info this was a real pain in the ass cause if i was logging it with my laptop then i couldn't use the laptop serial port for aldl logging .....
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

you need the wideband controller becase the sensor actually contains a narrowband sensor and an oxygen pump. the controller needs to vary the output of the oxygen pump until the narrowband sensor reads stioch. the amount of oxygen it is pumping is then measured and converted into the signal you see as the wideband AFR reading.

sorry if too much info LOL, this complicated circuitry is also why wideband controllers are expensive.
Biggsy

Post by Biggsy »

hyper24 wrote:There must of been a way people were doing it before, unless the AFRs are logged against RPM and other signals then there almost pointless?
Before realtime tuning I use to use the Dyno software which logged wideband an the cars vitals (rpm, speed, map etc) which were externally logged into the program (dyno software). The results could be played back/ graphed and then I used the information to change the required areas in the bin, I then wrote this to the memcal and repeated the process. This was long winded but got the job done.

Driving in the car with a scan tool, AFR display and a notepad can work too.

When using emulators for realtime tuning, adjust the VE table until the AFR displays what is being called for (need scantool/software running so you know which VE cell to change). It sounds really hard but once you have done it several times, it gets easier (it's really a 2 person job though). You don't need to hit every cell in the VE table, you just need to know which ones have been changed so the ones not been hit can be averaged.

Probably lots of other ways to do it, and I'm not saying these ways are the best, just was the way I use to do it.

The Kalmaker software has the ability to use the narrowband o2 to autotune the VE table where 14.7 AFR is called so the majority of the table is not done using a wideband.

Dave.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

exactly theres only really 3 colomns in the high load areas that you need wideband to tune just do a run then tweak do another run watching the wideband and tweak again doesnt take long
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem