VT-VX Clusters

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Re: VT-VX Clusters

Post by Tazzi »

Ah that would be good to avoid raising pins.. only so long that those pins will last.

Got the nec programmer on the way as well, $58.

Interesting if it can be used with the vy/vz mcu, got no clue what it says as my test cluster is bit scratched up!
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
madmn
cars: vx

Post by madmn »

you're not going to be able to bend pins up and down more the 6 times before they break, maybe solder a wire loop with a join in the middle

anyways VX series 2 clusters they must be different the have white needles that don't interchange with series 1 so the stepper motors are different. i can't find any info on them, pics would be good. i suspect they are closer to the VY S1 cluster
madmn

Post by madmn »

just a quick update my programmer arrived today and i can now confirm that you will have to lift the pins and that's no easy task
and i'm having trouble getting any clean reads and lots of connection errors and only partial dumps
Last edited by madmn on Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

Are you using a computer with a serialport? Or using a usb to serial converter for the nec programmer?

I found with my serial programmer that it struggles alot with the converter and didn't always give clean reads. Wasnt a cheap converter either. Could be my computer but I havent had trouble with then old school computer using its serial port.

Are you using the 12V supply on the unit? may give the extra power to get a full read assuming everything has a clean connection
madmn

Post by madmn »

have tried 2 computers my desktop and my old P1 that i use with EFIlive both give the same errors !!!

i've checked the connections and the cluster was fully working i've contacted the supplier i'll see what he says

i'll be interested in how you go
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

I think I prefer the middle 1 but it's not quite as bright!

they were both taken at the same time just 1 with flash & other without show's colors different!

The right 1 is green cover, middle is blue cover & left is no cover!

I do prefer the middle blue but isn't quite as bright, but stock is supposed to be green & I guess that matches the rest of facia!
Attachments
Dark lcd's.jpg
Dark lcd's.jpg (76.89 KiB) Viewed 3848 times
Flash lcd's.jpg
Flash lcd's.jpg (80.73 KiB) Viewed 3848 times
Last edited by VX L67 Getrag on Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

If it isn't bright enough, grab some 3mm leds (8000mcd- 10000mcd) with some resistors and replace the globe instead of just the covers.
Can't get much brighter then that :D
madmn

Post by madmn »

this is what i do to my clusters

IMG_1189.jpg
IMG_1189.jpg (76.45 KiB) Viewed 3842 times
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Yeah that looks heaps better!

With what I’ve been testing these VT clusters in different models& it seems the VT series 1 (92078903 level 2o 129??) will only work in that model as when I tried it in a series 2 it did the same things as when I tried it in a VX (both temp & fuel when straight to top, the tacho & speedo worked but definitely weren’t right, the odo didn’t even tick over 1Km but the trip meter looked reasonably close so go figure!).
Yet the triple LCD cluster (level 3oP 12883) I have worked in a VT series 2 but the tacho didn’t like working when at idle & was a little sporadic even when it was working so it could even been a fault in that cluster & it seemed the temp gauge started at ¼ almost but when at operating temp was just on ½ which is fairly normal.
So going with that testing possibly the triple LCD I have may work in a VX even though they have the completely different eeprom setup, but I’ll test this next time I can!
But the air bag section of the eeprom’s no matter which cluster needs to be set for correct configuration otherwise it will need to fault code reset in the air bag module (not cluster) if it trips it out after putting right config in the eeprom!
The 2 cars I tested them in had 92096563 (single LCD) in the VX & 92087560 (single LCD) in the VT s2!
madmn

Post by madmn »

^^^

i kind of figured that out, so the cluster pictured is from a VX calais i customized it with led's and glass paint to replace my single window VX exec

i bought the NEC programmer and in theory all i wanted to do was dump my original cluster bin replace it to the calais and in theory it should have worked with no warnings and the correct K's

the programmer is hard to work with lifting the pins is a 1 time deal, i finally managed to get some clean dumps and according to the software the cluster has 1,047.120 miles but has only 245.759 k's. i did manage 1 correction at what i thought was 230.000 but when reading via the software it was 1,037.936 and after a few more attempts it returned to the original 1,047.120

looking at the bins they have changed, but i don't know what cos if i unsolder the wires and reconnect the pins to the MCU that's it, it's way too delicate

i'm still not sure if my programmer is faulty the supplier wants me to send it back, it may just be that it is an unworkable situation. i guess ODO where really designed to be altered from new.......

i guess at the end of it all i'll still get my nice facia,red needles and my custom LED's in the original T5 holders in my single window cluster