Rack & Pinion Steering

For non EFI mechanical discussion
redcamaro

Rack & Pinion Steering

Post by redcamaro »

Is there a Rack and Pinion setup that has 6" or 15cm of travel from lock to lock?

Ideally one that mounts to the front of the K frame (crossmember), and right hand drive of course. Power assist would be nice too.
chaser304
cars: VN 304 BT1
VT S1 SS 304
HZ Kingswood (Under construction)

Re: Rack & Pinion Steering

Post by chaser304 »

i can tell you that there isnt many cars that run the rack at the front of the k frame..... But i do know of a couple The FG F**d falcon runs it at the front and also the territory does. i think they may have about 150mm of travel. i could check next time one is in at work.

Cheers chaser
IF IT HAS AN ENGINE I WILL FIND A WAY TO MAKE IT FASTER
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

toranas and geminis have front racks :D
Dazza92VP
cars: 92 VP V8 Wagon

Post by Dazza92VP »

so do rodeo/dmax
redcamaro

Post by redcamaro »

chaser304 wrote:i can tell you that there isnt many cars that run the rack at the front of the k frame..... But i do know of a couple The FG F**d falcon runs it at the front and also the territory does. i think they may have about 150mm of travel. i could check next time one is in at work.

Cheers chaser
Yeah that would be great if you could, I think it will need 150mm (6")... else the spindles need to be modified to maintain the turning circle. That's what I've read up on so far anyway, so it's time to try one on I guess.
redcamaro

Post by redcamaro »

Holden202 wrote:toranas and geminis have front racks :D
I measured the travel on an L34 Torana the other week and it was only 5.5" - not enough travel there.
redcamaro

Post by redcamaro »

Dazza92VP wrote:so do rodeo/dmax
There's a recent model Toyota 4x4 that I measured roughly, and it looked like about 6" of travel - have to find out what model it was.

I also measured a VE HSV or SS and I think that was close to 6" as well and on front of the K member if I recall - not sure now?
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Post by VK_3800 »

The width (i.e. inner joint to joint) is very important too, you can't just go by travel. So it depends on the car you want it for as to what will suit, a little difference can be allowed for by moving the rack up or down but you can cause some massive bump steer problems if everything isn't perfect.

BMWs, MX5, Subarus, Cortinas have front mounted racks. You might be lucky getting that much travel out of them though and they're all reasonably narrow. I'm in the final stages of putting an MR2 power steer rack into my Torana, its the same width (~625mm) and travel as the Torana rack.

The other option is modern racks have screw-in tie rods which can be space out a little; the drift guys use spacers with long stud inner tie rod ends so that the spacer itself moves into the rack housing and you get a bit more lock before hitting the end, this could potentially give you that extra half inch. Bear in mind though that this alters the inner joint spacing and could stuff up your bump steer again, so needs to be planned for from the start (you need to start with a narrower rack).
redcamaro

Post by redcamaro »

Yes width and bump steer, travel and turning circle seem to be important 'correlations' with steering.

In the US they use the rack out of Ford Pinto's on thirdgen F-body Camaros and Firebirds, but they're left hand drive racks.
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Post by VK_3800 »

Well that is the other option, a LHD rear mount rack is effectively a RHD front mount if you can get hold of one.

Also I didn't mean to understate the importance of getting the geometry correct; if you don't get it spot on the car will be very dangerous to drive and not just around corners.