A place For General Chit Chat Etc
monaro308
cars: VT S1 LS1 C/dore track car
HJ GTS Monaro Coupe
CV8 V2 S3
VE SSV

Lap timer

Post by monaro308 »

Just a question on lap timers...I have an old Speedwerx infrared lap timer that i use to use in my karting days.
It has the pick up and timer display that sits in th kart/car and the Beacon that sits on the side of the track.
Now my question is the lap timer from memory has a 10 lap max on it ,which is fine but the timing is 1 minute max per lap (i'll have to power up both units to remember if it in fact 1 min max
possibly 2 mins.

If i'm doing Phillip Island,i'll be looking at 2 mins + lap times.
What controls the max timed lap on a timing system ie 555 timer,firmware,etc ?
Can it be changed to say a 3 min max
Electronics is not my forte :D

I want to make use of the lap timer in the VT since its sitting around doing nothing.
cheers
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Lap timer

Post by antus »

my guess would be that its limited by both storage size, and firmware. i doubt they artificially limited the lap times like that. i dont like your chances :( but if you can post up some pics of the guts of the car module we can see if we can id it.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
monaro308
HJ GTS Monaro Coupe
CV8 V2 S3
VE SSV

Post by monaro308 »

Thanks Antus,i'll get the cover off it in the next couple of days and post some pics.
From memory there were the same units that would do a particular type of job ie Karting most closed club meetings would have under 10 laps per heat and alot of tracks were under 1 minute.
Then what looked like the same lap timer would give you 20 odd laps and a higher timed lap which catered for superkarts-motorbikes etc
The units all looked the same but the price went up because of the higher max laps and the timed lap.
I'll post pics anyway.
cheers and a Happy New Year to the Delco family!
monaro308
HJ GTS Monaro Coupe
CV8 V2 S3
VE SSV

Post by monaro308 »

Ok i've sorted out my lap timer.
Speedwerx were the supplier but Kartronix are the maker of the LT32 ie Lap timer 32 laps
Sooo 32 lap max = great
I found an explanation about timing side of it,i found instructions on the net.

The Display will show lap times off up to 1 minute as say 57.99, between 1 and 2 minutes as say 1.35.26,
but over 2 minutes as say 05.34.instead of 2.05.34
This is because the display cannot physically display a 2,
so a little common sense is required.

Case closed :thumbup: