Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
EFINOOB
cars: '82 XE 351c ute
'87 XF Fairmont
'93 XG XR6

Delco conversions for the new guy

Post by EFINOOB »

Hi all!

I'd like to say to start off by saying that this forum has a wealth of knowledge in it and is a credit to all involved! Also, this is my first post so please be kind as im just struggling with putting all the pieces together lol
I've been doing some reading of this forum the last few days, in particular the getting started guide among others, trying to take in and understand the world of EFI and Delco tuning as id like to do a Delco conversion but I think i've missed some key points and its left me with a few question (some probably silly) so i thought id ask them in the hope that someone could point me in the right direction...

I'm looking at setting up a Delco 808 on a V8 other than a holden 5.0ltr.
I work in a wrecking yard so i have a decent amount of parts, looms and ECM's available. The one i had my eye on was a VN V8 loom and ECM. Theres also a VR V8 Auto loom and PCM kicking around but i havent seen or read any mention of that loom/PCM being used in conversions, I'm guessing because the PCM also controls the Auto?
What im thinking of doing is setting up an 808 on an injected Windsor as im not a great fan of the EECIV/V or what ever they run. Its a long term project that im thinking of and EFI fits the bill, plus the thought of real time tuning is pretty cool :)

My questions are, so far...
Would the VN V8 loom and ECM be suitable for a conversion or have i got off on the wrong foot?
I'm struggling with the basics of the NVRAM concepts and setup (i've only found the 1 pic of how it goes together...lol)
If i bought a NVRAM Conversion kit and a USB Comms board so the early ECM can transfer data at the 8192 Baud allowing real time tuning, do i still need a MEMCAL?
If so can i use the original MEMCAL or do i need a later one with the larger 256k chip like im reading about the VR's having to fit the $12P package?
Do i then need to buy a eprom eraser/programmer of sorts to change the memcal?
Does the NVRAM need to be pre-programmed with anything to get me going?
Can i delete the original Holden V8 Bosch ignition module in favor of say an MSD Digital and an MSD dizzy? (this is a key point)

Anyhelp or answers would be greatly appreciated!
I appologise if im asking old-done-to-death questions in other threds...
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Re: Delco conversions for the new guy

Post by VL400 »

Welcome to the forums :thumbup:
My questions are, so far...

Would the VN V8 loom and ECM be suitable for a conversion or have i got off on the wrong foot?
VN V8 loom and ECU would be ideal. Its the simplest to wire up and use, and has 12P code to run on it.
I'm struggling with the basics of the NVRAM concepts and setup (i've only found the 1 pic of how it goes together...lol)
Its essentially a memcal that you can read and write to, it replaces the original memcal that was read only. The USB comms connects to the main processor, in VN and VP ECUs holden didnt use 8192 data so the hardware was missing and the memcal code didnt allow for it. With both you write to the NVRAM over the ALDL link while logging, so its a single cable to do everything.
If i bought a NVRAM Conversion kit and a USB Comms board so the early ECM can transfer data at the 8192 Baud allowing real time tuning, do i still need a MEMCAL?
You dont have to use a memcal with the NVRAM. All it allows for is true limp home mode - this is not if a sensor fails but the processor on the ECU fails, it goes to an analog fueling mode which will be very poor for any engine other than the stock factory setup.
If so can i use the original MEMCAL or do i need a later one with the larger 256k chip like im reading about the VR's having to fit the $12P package?
If you do get a larger EPROM memcal you can use it to create a backup tune or for when your done tuning to use the NVRAM in another vehicle.
Do i then need to buy a eprom eraser/programmer of sorts to change the memcal?
Its optional, but most people at some point will corrupt the NVRAM one way or another and require one. Sometimes from removing it when powered or writing bad calibration info. Its also handy to create a backup memcal.
Does the NVRAM need to be pre-programmed with anything to get me going?
It will be pre-programmed. OSE 12P would be recommended for your setup .. https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=356
Can i delete the original Holden V8 Bosch ignition module in favor of say an MSD Digital and an MSD dizzy? (this is a key point)
You will need to use a GM 4 wire ignition module. It depends on what type of triggering the factory dizzy uses as to what you can use. A camira ignition module can be used if the factory dizzy is a reluctor style pickup.
EFINOOB
cars: '82 XE 351c ute
'87 XF Fairmont
'93 XG XR6

Post by EFINOOB »

Thanks for the info, its greatly apreciated!!!

So just making sure i've got this right, once your done tuning with the NVRAM the tune can be programmed to a EPROM MEMCAL, if you have an eraser/programmer, for a hard copy of the tune? I'm sorry if im asking the same questions but i just want to be clear as im pretty keen on all this!
The limp home mode function is not something im interested in. If its broke, its broke and it'll go home on a trailer lol
What differences are there between the 808's in 4/6/8 cylinder cars? There was a bloke in at work the other day that picked up a VN V6 ecu for a VN V8, he said it was better in someway...
Also, where could I find the info in regards to setting up the wideband A/F sensor?

My eventual plan for this project is to build/setup an injected Aussie BOSS 302 windsor using 2V clevo heads, the Delco EFI and if I can find the right sized doner TB's, setup an individually throttle bodied manifold. The idea is to be a bit different, but at the moment i think im most excited about the learning curve and the possibilites lol.

Knowing that you have to crawl before you can walk like a BOSS :P i've started building a bench/running stand with a radiator, fuel tank, battery and so on so i can get it happening on the standard engine and familiarize myself with the delco with out the headaches of doing the conversion in the car straight up. Plus I've been reading Holden202T's thread about the ABS sensor crank trigger set up, and i'm finding if this project stays in the direction i'd like there will be a lot of messsing around and learning that can be done in the mean time before it ends up in a car.

Thanks a heap for your help, and I will appologize now in advance for the next 100 questions lol
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

EFINOOB wrote:Thanks for the info, its greatly apreciated!!!

So just making sure i've got this right, once your done tuning with the NVRAM the tune can be programmed to a EPROM MEMCAL, if you have an eraser/programmer, for a hard copy of the tune? I'm sorry if im asking the same questions but i just want to be clear as im pretty keen on all this!
yeah thats correct, aslong as the memcal has a suitable sized eprom.
EFINOOB wrote:What differences are there between the 808's in 4/6/8 cylinder cars? There was a bloke in at work the other day that picked up a VN V6 ecu for a VN V8, he said it was better in someway...
aslong as the computer is a 1227808 it will be fine, the memcal is what determines the tune and settings for 4 / 6 / 8 etc.
EFINOOB wrote:Also, where could I find the info in regards to setting up the wideband A/F sensor?
depends on what one you get, but the info is in various different threads on here for most of the common ones.