Laptop Probs?

160 And 8192 Baud Aldl
v6bucket

Laptop Probs?

Post by v6bucket »

I recently purchased a refurbished laptop for a $250 as the "Steam powered" 2001 Sony laptop was was extremely SLOW.
So the newer one is a Compaq NC6220 installed with Windows 7(32bit).
So I installed TP5 & all the necessary bits n pieces connected it to the UC, which is running a 12P 202 Holden 6. Started logging & looking around as I haven't had it running in a while, & noticed that the laptop didn't like it when I tried changing from the monitors screen to the dash screen while recording, it appeared to be very slow & took a long time to bring the next screen up. Now I'm not sure if it's a set up problem or a computer problem.
I'm using flashtool OSE V142. USB interface.
Laptop has 2gig ram & 1.8gig processor which far exceeds the previous one, so all help will be appreciated.
Waz
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Laptop Probs?

Post by antus »

Well, I hate to say it but its still a 7 year old laptop. Technology has come a long way in that time, and 1.8ghz doesnt mean a lot on its own. Generation of processor, how many cores and how much cache make quite a difference. Are you sure its got 2gb of ram? It looks like it should support two, but they only shipped with 512mb. If it is on 512 then thats a problem. If it does have the advertised 2gb of ram, then perhaps it doesnt have drivers set up properly and isnt running at max efficiency. Otherwise, it could just be that slow. A 1997 pentium M at 1.86ghz is very different beast to a modern cpu running at the same speed. Perhaps putting windows xp on it might be a tradeoff that will gain you some speed but loose you the modern look. But having said that win 7 is fairly decent on resources so its hard to guess how much faster it'd become.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

I realize it is a 7 year old computer but it should be better than a 13 year one, & it's hard to justify spending a heap of money on something that spends most of it's time in a bag under the bench.
Definitely has 2gig of ram, old one had 512meg & XP.
Can you enlighten me on checking that it has the correct drivers installed correctly?
The machine operates great online, with music, Youtube etc, but seems slow connected to the car.
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Click start -> right click computer -> click properties -> click device manager (on the left hand side).

In the device manager there shouldnt be anything with a yellow question mark or red cross, and none of the tree should be expanded. This screen shot is XP, but it looks about the same in win7. You want to make sure there isnt anything unsupported/disabled/question marks/red crosses etc.
device manager.gif
device manager.gif (7.86 KiB) Viewed 5752 times
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

Everything in device manager is Ok, that the 1st place I checked.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

TP can be pretty resource intensive at times. It depends what dash/monitor screen you have up at the time, the more items the more drawing it needs to do. The item list screen is the fastest.

Can try a re-install of th .net framework, maybe try re-installing TP, check that virus scanning software isnt hogging resources (disable it temporarily while logging and not connected to the net). When it is slow, open the windows task manager and see what CPU and RAM are doing at the time.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

i have this issue only when logging LS1 with AVT cable laptop just cant keep up
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

I started looking around the laptop & noticed that there was a stack of windows updates sitting there, done a couple of reboots & now works much better.
Done a couple of logs & seems ok.
Whilst logging I noticed that the engine was running a bit odd, noticed that it had a SET DTC 46-No ref pulses. started checking wiring etc. then touched the memcal & that stopped the engine, started again. So changed the memcal for another, still the same, then removed the rs232 ecu & fitted the usb ecu problem solved. Now I need to find what's wrong with the rs232 converted ecu. Unplugged the rs232 board from the ecu, still the same so something is u/s on the circuit board, I think?