vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Datalogging/telemetry with a wireless router

Post by vlad01 »

holy crap! thats awesome! now all you need is analogue overlays.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

how did you go with the code for the wifi router logger ive just scored an HG556a huawei supported by openwrt has 2 usb ports etc want to set it up for testing and having a play so i dont go mad now im not working LOL
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
festy
cars: Alfa Romeos

Post by festy »

It was working, just a little slow from memory (but I was running it on a 200MHz broadcom cpu, yours might be faster).
The LCD display was something I built myself, I know you can buy a serial LCD module pretty cheaply but not sure if they operate the same as mine.
Shouldn't take much to make it work with a different one though.
The logging is still only to csv because I haven't looked into the xdl format yet, and the network streaming is working but again it only sends the csv data.
The remote command framework is in place, but I think I've only added a "clear DTC" command so far.

I can give you a copy of the code, but you'll need at least a basic understanding of Perl to get it working. When I switched over to using the Raspberry Pi a while ago I had to re-write parts of it so will have to dig out an old version that will run on openwrt.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

haha no understanding of perl bugger.have found cheap serial lcd's from china guess ill just put the router back in the cupboard.
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
festy

Post by festy »

If I can track down enough details on one of those ebay serial LCDs I'll look at adding a screen driver for them.
If that works, then all that would need setting was com port numbers etc, so maybe don't give up just yet ;)
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

legend LOL
festy

Post by festy »

I've been re-visiting this project over the last couple of days because I'm hoping to actually have a use for it soon...
Logging to csv was never going to be much use, after a bit of poking around I worked out 95% of the XDL header and record structure so now it writes native TP logs instead.

The logging speed was still a bit slow, averaging about 4.5Hz compared to 8Hz with my laptop.
I was sure it was logging faster than that last time I was working on it, and eventually found the cause of the slowdown was the LCD driver. I'd made some changes to it a month or two ago to fix a timing glitch, and hadn't noticed it was slower.
Fixing that got the speed up to almost 6Hz, and changing the code to only update the screen every third message bumped the speed up to 8Hz. It also made the screen more readable, the numbers aren't just a blur now so double win ;)

Next job was to add my 10 channel analogue input module and get it into the log stream. I dropped the resolution to 8 bits to keep it simple, and added some rough accelerometer calibration figures to the ADX:
G.jpg
G.jpg (43.81 KiB) Viewed 5810 times
There's a bunch more sensors I'd like to add to the car, so the other analogue inputs will be put to good use before long...
Currently the lap marker trigger is a push button, but I want to come up with something better.
Options I'm going to look into are:
* GPS proximity to the start line,
* an IR transmitter on the pit wall (that's how most people do it), or
* some method of detecting the transponder pickup that's embedded in the track at the start/finish line. This would be the best option, but also the hardest to implement by a long way I think :oops:
cathpeti54
cars: peugeot

Post by cathpeti54 »

antus wrote:Good job! The thought of using a linux based AP like this had crossed my mind, but never eventuated due to the size of the job! Using DD-WRT as a base is nice. I used it years ago on linksys AP, but have not revisited it since that hardware died assurances seniors. I'd be pretty keen to make up one of these and have a play myself. Hardware logging, and that future feature of wireless to aldl is good too. Would be real nice to have a laptop in hand, and be able to log and tune the engine - no wires :)
I might be able to help you if you want to start this kind of project because I have been working on linux for a while.