Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
zspanners
cars: Zephyr mk 1,2,3
Nissan R33,R34,s13 RB20DET
Commodore VN,VR
Zephyr 6 Cyl with Delco 808

Dis on a straight six.

Post by zspanners »

Hi guys just trying to get this sorted out.
The back ground is a Ford Zephyr six cylinder engine ( Same layout as a Holden Red 6).

I have fabricated an intake manifold and used a VN throttle body.
The intake has 3 runners and feeds three Siamese ports.
One injector ( green giant 440 cc ) per port.
VH Commodore distributor internals with a Camira Module.
808 ECU with NVRAM and 12P.
VL turbo fuel pump and regulator.

This engine also has a Nissan R33 STD Reco Turbo on a steam pipe manifold and intercooler.

The engine has run ( minus turbo set up) and I have been able to tune it to a fashion.
The Issue is that the injection starts off whenever a trigger pulse is sensed and this is not all ways from the right cylinder to allow correct injection timing.
Some times the engine starts and run well other times the injection is off .
If I key off - key on ( with the engine running) the ECU will sometimes by chance pick up on the desired cylinder to commence firing.
When the correct injection sequence is obtained the engine runs very well.

I am looking at installing a crank trigger and 3 Commodore V6 coils with a US 6 cyl control unit module D1928A.

My questions are as follows.
1) If I use this ignition set up will the 808 ECU see cylinder 1 firing and start the injection from that point every time?.
In a Nissan R31 ECU there is a distributor driven CAS the signals from this fire the injection once every 360 degrees starting at cylinder no 1.
I NEED THE DELCO TO FIRE THE INJECTION IN THIS FASHION AS WELL.
2) Best crank trigger wheel and tooth count ?.
3) VL400s Programmable Delco ignition module ?.
4) 12P set up of ignition to suit this conversion.

Any help appreciated.

zspanners
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Re: Dis on a straight six.

Post by VL400 »

Yeah unfortunately this type of port injection and siamesed ports is a problem with the '808.

I don't know for sure but I reckon a D1928A will only start outputting pulses once it has gained sync. Providing the 808 does not miss the first pulse (also might need to adjust "Run Params - Number Of Succ Reference Pulses To Allow Run Fuel Mode"), and you setup the first pulse to occur before CYL #1, it should start from there every time. My module does do this and it is configurable of when #1 should start - ie it does not have to happen right after the sync pulse like the D1928A will, it can be told to wait a further X pulses before using that as the first ref pulse and start outputting pulses.

The only issue is the 808 cannot keep or ensure sync. So if it misses one pulse will then be out.

The VR auto PCM can read a cam sensor to run in banked mode firing pairs of 3 injectors which might work.
zspanners
cars: Zephyr mk 1,2,3
Nissan R33,R34,s13 RB20DET
Commodore VN,VR
Zephyr 6 Cyl with Delco 808

Re: Dis on a straight six.

Post by zspanners »

OK VR V6 Auto PCM , can do.
I could use a crank trigger and reuse the distributor reluctor as a cam sensor with one only pole ( grind off the remaining 5).

Pairs of 3 injectors??

We have three only injectors that need to all fire once every engine revolution.( is this the correct way to do this ?? ).

zspanners