Speedo Correctors

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
Helical
cars: 2000 HSV VS Series 3 Maloo
1995 Holden VS V6 3 seat ute (bunky)
1997 Holden VS S Pak Ute (wreck)

Speedo Correctors

Post by Helical »

Just a bot of information for anyone who needs to correct their spedo.

It seems Jaycar have discontinued their speedo corrector kits, so I had to go looking for other options. Found Marks4wd.com corrector, but they were out of stock. Found another on Shiftkits.com.au also out of stock.

Eventually I stumbled across Yellr.com. I thought this was a US company/product as the prices are in $US and they talk about MPH, but I was desperate so bought one of their version 5 'Yellow Box'. As a bonus, it is also a lot cheaper than the other options.

Turns out they are an Aussie company in Queensland. Postage was really fast and the box works great. Two led's and two push buttons take care of all the programming. Four wires to connect into the loom, +ve (ignition), ground and two that connect to the speed sensor signal wire (cut the wire and solder one wire to each end). It even comes with a jumper so you can remove the box, plug in the jumper and the speedo will work like normal.

I velcroed the box to the back top inside of my glove box and ran the cable over the back to the PCM, came up neat and I can pull it out to adjust it.

There are version for hall effect and reluctor sensors. Correction is smooth with no lag or jerking, adjustable down to .1% Also has a feature to test needle movement (stepped frequency output) and a feature that stores the maximum speed so it can be recalled later, even after power is disconnected.

The box itself is very small, about the size of a matchbox and weatherproof. Only thing I don't really like is it uses a 4 pin Molex connector, same as is used in PC's, but it's not being unplugged all the time, so that's not really an issue.
2014-05-23 13.13.38.jpg
2014-05-23 13.13.38.jpg (91.51 KiB) Viewed 13074 times
I'm not associated with the company nor received any incentive, just thought I'd share.

http://www.yellr.com

Troy
Helical

Re: Speedo Correctors

Post by Helical »

Oh yeah, has a 10 year replacement warranty too.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Nice find! Sounds like its doing the job very well and one to remember.
HQ355
cars: HQ Holden

Post by HQ355 »

Thanks for that ! I've been meaning to look in to that for a while, you just saved me a heap of time I think
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

http://www.rodshop.com.au/trans_accessories/speedo.htm
Castlemaine rod shop do a screw in mechanical reduction.
Ive got one on order for a mates car. I got an app on my phone to get true reading from GPS then give them details of the box, transducer and the error percentage and they go from there.
Helical

Post by Helical »

It's doing very well especially considering my speedo was way out, read 48km/h when doing 90km/h. Wasn't sure how well it would respond given it's almost doubling the pulses.

Nice range of mechanical options in that link.
krusty
cars: VY Calais guzzler, Toyota Corolla almost hybrid

Post by krusty »

I bought the last 5 Jaycar kits. Sorry lol

New thing looks good and will be a shame to not polish up the soldering skills periodically
tav
cars: VS Commodore

Post by tav »

If there's enough demand for the jaycar kits I could get a batch of pcb's printed. The parts can be sourced from jaycar and I can supply the PIC16F628A microcontroller flashed with the firmware ready to go.
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Post by VK_3800 »

Jaycar have a new version available now, if I remember correctly it comes fully assembled only and is a little different
The1

Post by The1 »

i have a wholesale account if there's interest in bulk purchase and there is enough discount to bother with, if someone can find the catalog number i can look it up.