My First Tune 12P

Tuning The Delco In Realtime
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: My First Tune 12P

Post by Dylan »

Thats a fair point. Ive actually been thinking of doing sonething like that anyway as it revs that quick I wouldn't assume the readings are 100%.
Was thinking something like up a steep hill riding the brake.

Out of interest what was the cam like in that motor?
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

I wouldn't do it too much but you can also put the hand brake on a bit to add load!
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

rather large cam... I cant remember the exact specs but I do remember noting is was bigger than a 286.
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

Been making progress on this, getting the tune pretty close. Just hard to hit every cell in the rev range.

Having trouble with the IAC solenoid. It's not opening when commanded, even at 196 steps on the gauge screen.
In diagnostic mode key on it wont drive out either.

So I forced it right in then started engine with it re fitted, ecu commanded 196 steps and after a delay it closed but still wont re open.
Even cycling key off and on no movement.

Any ideas could I have got something wrong in the tune?
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

well if im reading what you said correctly, the ECM is commanding it to move but its not ? if that's the case its either a wiring issue or the IAC itself is faulty....

if its moving but not doing what you want then it might be tune related....

I've just the other day been trying to sort some IAC tweaks on my brothers VP V6, problem is since we removed the PCV system and added a bigger cam its not getting that air it had before so needs the butterfly open more ... I drilled a 2.5mm hole in the butterfly which made it better, but I found when putting it into gear it would usually stall before the IAC did anything .... so I changed the settings for MAX IAC in drive/neutral etc ... this allowed it to put in more than 100 steps .... also changed the IAC delay from .4 to .2 sec and this helped a lot.

I still have some more work to do on it but its getting there. theres also some stall saver settings I need to sit down and look at too ... I think it really needs a bigger hole in the butterfly because its on 80 steps at idle and the butterfly is screwed in a fair way! ... before the hole the butterfly screw was on the limit (ie. spring bind)
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

Yeah sounds like it faulty, ecu says open but it doesn't. Just checking as with the previoys $DB I dont remember any problems.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Ive seen a few faulty 2nd hand IACs out there. Some of the older ones that have had harder lives certainly are jamming these days. Ive seen a couple. Fortunately they are quite common and can be swapped in from a lot of models. Including 1999/2000 daewoos. If they look right with the right connector they should swap right in. The daewoo ones are a good option because they are much newer and nobody takes parts of daewoos for conversions. Many wreckers would probably look at you like your crazy and let a good clean condition one go for $5.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

I wastold to look at the LS1 type, are they at all similair?
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

The pintle design looks different, but the case looks the same. If you have one to try it might be an option for testing.
ejukated

Post by ejukated »

LS1 IAC the pintle and seat is different and I believe the wiring is also different.