VY PCM - 16269238

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: VY PCM - 16269238

Post by antus »

I got my hands on a VX pcm last night - service no 09356445, type 16269248, and a quick looks shows the pcb layout and components are exactly the same as this VY one, with only two differences. 19/01 in the box in the corner of the pcb and U17 is a 61614 instead of a 61588. I'd be very suprised if the two PCMs were not compatible. I have heard this before, so seeing it just backs that up really. I'd post a pic if it was more different.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Mick

Post by Mick »

Happy New Year Lads,

I have been playing around with my VY V6 and put together a couple files to use with TunerPro V5.

In the zip file I have included a $060A XDF, ADX, Bin File and a Log File that I did the other day.

Things are looking pretty good so far.

Cheers

Mick

edit: 2022 - While this was good for 2010, you should now run the1's enhanced normally aspirated bin/xdf/adx on your VY flash pcm. viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2518
VY V6 $060A.zip
(214.52 KiB) Downloaded 1768 times
Rev it up, Drop the clutch, See what happens.
yoda69
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual

Post by yoda69 »

Mick,
Excellent work!!!!!
Now all we need to do is to find out how to flash a bin in, or modify the ecu with a socket to allow realtime tuning (which I know is underway).
This will hopefully open up a few more doors to tuning the newer V6's and the last of the Ecotecs.
I had a look at the spark tables compared to the VT and they are hugely different, will take a little bit to sort through but appears that the EGR and Lean Cruise, IAT and Coolant spark corrections are also different. Will have to run a few histograms and compare a VT to VY.
Additionally I also noticed when logging my late VYII (2004) that lean cruise is disabled in this model. Cars built from Jan 2004 are EuroII emmissions and have 4 Oxygen sensors, 2 before the cat and 2 after, as they have to monitor the cat efficiency.

yoda69
Mick

Post by Mick »

Sorting out the Flash would be nice!!! I figure on mounting an Emulator of some sort permanently inside the PCM so I can uplaod and download directly to it. Then I will just use the buss for logging. There is an old box of toys with a few options but it would be nice to include wideband input to the Emulator like the AutoProm. Need to get a Production socket fitted first and do some chip address testing on that plcc..

Somewhere along the line the V6 changed to a Bosch Controler, I'm not to sure at which model though.

There are a couple variations of this definition which can be easy sorted but I was glad to see there is not as many as the VT.

Good work in progress Lads, keep up the good support, Iam sure there is more to come....... :D

Cheers

Mick
Mick

Post by Mick »

Bench Wiring/Programming VX and VY Holden V6 PCM

PCM Grounds:
*All these grounds are tied together in the engine harness 300mm from the PCM connectors.

*A05 = Black/Red
*B05 = Black/Red

*E07 = Black/Red
*F07 = Black/Red
……………………
C06 = Black/Yellow
D06 = Black

All grounds can be tied together and attached to Bat - Neg.
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

PCM BAT + 12V:
# Both of these battery positives are tied together 300mm from the PCM connectors. Both of these wires are attached to Bat + 12V permanently.

# C12 = Orange
# D12 = Orange
……………………
*Ignition switched Bat + 12v. This wire should be switched to resemble ignition being turned on and off. This is handy for soft reset of PCM when necessary. Switched on in run mode.

*D16 = Pink
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

PCM Serial Data Output:
This wire is connected to pin 9 of the ALDL connector. This wire carries communications to and from the PCM. (Mod Edit: this did say pin 16 which was incorrect! Thanks for the report Holden202T and Kojab).

C13 = Red/ Black
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

PCM Diagnostic:
This wire is connected to Pin 6 of the ALDL connector. It is a signal to the PCM to activate Diagnostic Mode.

D09 = White/ Black
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

ALDL Diagnostic Connector: Picture view of the front of the connector.
Pin 5 of the ALDL connector Black/ Yellow wire is connected to Bat- Neg. This is used to earth the PCM diagnostic output to ground via the Moates RS232 Interface. Pin 6 is connected to PCM Diagnostic input D09 = White/ Black wire.
You are only required to hook up 12 wires to power a VY or VX PCM for Diagnostic Simulation or Flash Programming. The PCM Pin Numbers are signified on the inside of the PCM connector sockets at the top left corner, A/B, C/D, E/F. There are 3 x connectors with 2 rows in each. The letters correspond to each row. The rows are number left to right.

Thanks to Yodas great pictures I fixed up the pin out numbers for the ALDL connector.

Cheers

Mick
Last edited by Mick on Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
yoda69

Post by yoda69 »

Mick,
Hopefully this helps.
Connectors as viewed on the PCM when mounted are:

Left connector has pins A/B (normally pink connector)
Middle connector has pins C/D (normally pink connector)
Right Connector has pins E/F (normally blue connector)
VY PCM connectors.jpg
VY PCM connectors.jpg (23.76 KiB) Viewed 21512 times
Mod edit: See the image here, to see this graphically on the PCM. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=152&start=70#p67278

OBD2 Connector Pin Numbering
OBD2 Connector.jpg
OBD2 Connector.jpg (21.12 KiB) Viewed 21515 times
yoda69
Mick

Post by Mick »

Thanks mate that was a big help.

For a VX and VY N/A PCM.

A/B connector = 12 pin/ Brown/ Middle of PCM.
C/D connector = 16 pin/ Brown/ Right side of PCM.
E/F connector = 16 Pin/ Yellow/ Left side of PCM.

The pin out numbers should be the same for both VX and VY N/A as they share the same box number (Service Number) 09356445. The plug colors on the VX and VY N/A are brown and Yellow. The plug colors on the VX and VY S/C are Pink and Blue.
Thanks

Mick
Last edited by Mick on Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctor Bob
cars: VN, VT

Post by Doctor Bob »

The VY has the same brown connectors as the VX, all the IPCM6F units have them, the VY SC still has the pink & Blue connectors
Mick

Post by Mick »

Thanks for clearing that up Bob, much appreicated. I made changes to my post to fall in line with Bobs post.

Cheers

Mick
yoda69

Post by yoda69 »

The following information has been provided by Mick. Great work, the flash programmable delcos are nearly ready to fly :driving:

Thanks to VL400 you can now download the full calibration from the ECM on your VX, VU and VY Holden V6 using OSE Enhanced V1.15. Might I say this has been tested On and Off Vehicle and the results are quite “Confident”.

Below are the preference settings that I used to bench test with and there might be a few things that need explaining.

The interface cable that I use for GM OBD1 is a Moates unit found here: http://www.moates.net/product_info.php? ... cts_id=128

I’m sure other EFI-DIY combinations will work, best to test on the bench first.

1: I did not play with any of the High-Speed Communication Options at all, what you see below ‘Auto” and Auto Retries = 2 is good to go by default.

2: General Program Options. When downloading from a factory ECM you only need to search for Factory Devices as having the other options selected will only slow the quick process of unlocking your ECM.

3: No need to play with Binary ID as the application will supply this information on the log screen when the ECM is identified.

4: Communication Options:
• ECM Com Port: The USB Interface when plugged into your PC will be allocated a com port number. Once connected, go to Device Manager and check Ports (Com & LPT) Look for the allocated port number of the USB Serial Port (Com X). As you can see from below I have allocated COM5 as the ECM Com Port. Yours may be different.
• Baud Rate: We use 8192 here.
• TunerPro Com Port: Not used, I just made sure that it was different to the ECM Com Port selected.
• Wait for Silence: I found that for bench testing 100ms worked the best overall. On vehicle dumping I used 50ms. The bus was pretty busy as the BCM is the master and it tends to clog the bus a little.
• Com Re-tries: I bumped this up to 10 just to make sure the messages got through. By default it is set to 5. This is ok.
• Com Time Out: For bench testing I used 200ms. On Vehicle I used 300ms. I saw a few NO Responsive messages in the log session and this is what worked best for me.
• Device ID: This is the allocated ID number in hex that references the ECM. For these little puppies you need to use F7.
• BCM Device ID: Body Control Module is the Master. The device ID allocated is F1 in hex.
• HeartBeat: Well this is a frame that is sent out on the bus by the BCM (0x08, 0x55, 0xA3). OSE looks for this frame as a jump in to the bus. Directly after this frame you will find the longest period of Silence.
• HeartBeat Timeout: This is set to 2000ms by default. I had no reason to play with this as it works really well.
• Disable BCM Chatter: For bench testing you don’t have this selected as there is no BCM to shut down. When connecting to the vehicle you need to select this to shut the BCM up on the bus.
• Detect HeartBeat: As the BCM is the master it sends the HeartBeat Frame onto the bus. When bench testing there’s no BCM and no HeartBeat. No need to have this selected. When you connect to the vehicle you need to select this as it makes things very smooth when connecting to the ECM.
• Detect Silence Only On Connect: If you have issues with error messages in your session you can select this. What will happen is OSE will look for silence before sending each command frame to the ECM. Works very well!! As you can imagine it will slow down the time it takes to dump the bin or FIND THAT KEY (Brute Force). For bench testing with no BCM having this selected works well. Some vehicles might like this un-selected to improve the Coms.
• Disable ECM Chatter: Have this selected for both bench testing and on vehicle bin dumping.
• Ignore Echo: I just leave this selected for both bench testing and on vehicle bin dumping.
• NEW OPTION: Erase before write - Always select this option. If you do not you will corrupt the PCM when any changes are made.
• Once you have selected these settings, click OK to save them.

Bench Testing Preference Settings
Bench Test User Preferences.jpg
Bench Test User Preferences.jpg (47.88 KiB) Viewed 21356 times
On Vehicle Bin Dumping Preference Settings
Vehicle User Preference Settings.jpg
Vehicle User Preference Settings.jpg (47.79 KiB) Viewed 21357 times
1. Turn off all accessories like radio, A/C blower ECT.
2. Connect the interface you have to the ALDL connecter under the dash.
3. Connect the Interface USB port to your PC.
4. Open OSE Enhanced Flash Tool V1.15 making sure the settings in the Preferences are correct.
5. Turn the ignition of the vehicle to the on position not cranking.
6. Under the main screen of OSE click on Connect to ECM. Watch how quick it unlocks the ECM. After you have blinked and the ECM is Unlocked and Identified you can move onto other things.
7. To dump the bin or other contents of the Flash you have the following options.
• Get Cal
• Get Bin
• Get Ram
• Get EEPROM

Note: Do not disturb the process while the application is at work. I would recommend turning off screen savers and any un-required applications prior to connecting to the vehicle. It would be recommended that you only dump one of these at a time. Disconnecting from the ECM and Turning the Ignition off between dumps.

8. When the bin dump is complete you will be given the option to save the bin as a given name to a given location. You may hear the ECM go through a reset. You will hear a few relays clicking and the fuel pump run.
9. At this point you also have the option to save the logging session data for future review.
10. Click Disconnect form ECM as you’re done.
11. Turn ignition off and or disconnect power to the ECM if you’re on the bench.

While testing there were a few issues that I came across. On one occasion I disconnected from the vehicle coms prior to re-enabling chatter to the BCM. As you can imagine this left the vehicle in a position where it would not start. On another occasion on the bench I had to hard reset the ECM by disconnecting the CAM power for hard reset, this would be just like disconnecting the battery power to the vehicle. Testing was carried out on the bench first prior to vehicle testing with every application upgrade along the way. These issues were overcome very easy and considering the achievement, it was a very good result.

Many thanks go to VL400 for the time and effort that he puts into Application Development.

Cheers Lads

Mick