Looking for Info on OBD2 GM 60*V6's

Disassembly, Reassembly, Tools and devleopment. Going deep with Hardware and Software.
sabercatpuck
cars: 1999 Saturn SL1
2003 Monte Carlo

Re: Looking for Info on OBD2 GM 60*V6's

Post by sabercatpuck »

dont tell me, let me guess, the little space hanging on at the end of the line right? One thing BTW, I started mine at the beginning ($0000) instead of the end ($FFFF) because almost every time I saw a seed key pair listed somewhere, 90% or better seemed to have a low number. Now obviously there is no real rule for that that I am aware of, just an observation.
planethax

Post by planethax »

Ya, it was at the end, so I am starting over.
I have gone down through FFFF to ALMOST AAAA, testing,

I have also added the User Option of incrementing or decrementing now, so I will restart again when I get to AAAA at 0001 to test that way as well.

Sure hope its not 9FFF LOL.

Uploading pic of current look of app, once bugs worked out and I am sure to get my key I will upload it and source here for you all if someone wants it.
Attachments
Current look.
Current look.
planetkey.JPG (49.95 KiB) Viewed 7283 times
sabercatpuck
2003 Monte Carlo

Post by sabercatpuck »

If nothing else yours is a whole lot more polished than the hatchet thing I threw together :) (I bet my EXE was smaler though ;) )
planethax

Post by planethax »

Ya, I see yours as 48Kb and mine ATM is 104Kb, which really is still quite small.

Using a few text files to store user selected data, once this part is working I may convert to an ini file.
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

sorry to sound really dumb, but ive been so curious... what ive got so far from this thread is that there is some sort of key you are brute forcing out of the ecu. what is the point of finding this key. what will it enable you to do?
sabercatpuck
2003 Monte Carlo

Post by sabercatpuck »

if you do not know the key (or the algorythim to calculate it) then you will not be able to do tuning through the OBD port. Most tuning software packages out there do have the algorythims so if you are using one you are already covered.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Jayme wrote:sorry to sound really dumb, but ive been so curious... what ive got so far from this thread is that there is some sort of key you are brute forcing out of the ecu. what is the point of finding this key. what will it enable you to do?
As sabercatpuck was saying, but to put it into normal ALDL terms for us old ECM users - The mode2 ALDL that we use to get the bin/cal does not work until the PCM is unlocked. The VX/VY V6 flash PCMs in Oz were the first OBD-I devices to be locked in a Commodore and then anything later (or anything LS1) thats OBD-II are locked. You can still scan/log a locked PCM.

The other thing is once its unlocked you cant just request a mode 2 (OBD-II is different, VX/VY here still have a limited mode 2) and get the entire bin, you need to write your own code and upload that to the PCM, execute it and then use your own PC client to interface to the newly uploaded and running routine. They really made it difficult .. but not impossible :lol:
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

nothings ever impossible!
planethax

Post by planethax »

My intentions are to push the ELM devices as far as they will go, get as much info as possible out of them.
Next to find a cheaper cable that will do 4X J1859 VPW (which I think I have found for $30) and try to flash these PCMs.

My app has a few bugs,
1, Timers causes crashes after 9 hours, I have a fix for that I am just finishing that up,
2, At the moment trying keys 0001 to 0FFF is bugged as it likes to drop the preceeding 0s,
I have a trap to fix that, just need to fine to it.

BTW, my Seed for this PCM was
05 BC
and I successfully have the Key
11 5D

I have a few more PCMS around, if I can find enough seed/key pairs, maybe I can find the ALGO for this particular PCM. :punk:
planethax

Post by planethax »

Well, while messing around I stumbled across the OSID as well, so I will add that function too.

Think I may put in a retrieve VIN button also?