Help testing a Camira coil

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
Holden202T

Re: Help testing a Camira coil

Post by Holden202T »

also for reference you don't need a camira coil you can use a HEI coil, and just connect the + from module to + on coil and C on module to - on coil plug power from ignition to + on coil.
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Thats good to know. I wasn't sure if the high secondary voltage would affect the module because in the std type coil the secondary is earthed out through the primary circuit but the Camira it has it's own earth through the coil frame. Anyway the wiring diagram did the trick and I found the problem in minutes. The lead from the coil to the module was wired up reverse polarity (long story) so I reversed it and it now runs. Lots of black smoke at this stage. I pissed the neighbor off with the fumes but probably killed all the spiders and cockroaches in the house. Tuning from here on in. Thanks
Circlotron
cars: VP 5L LPG

Post by Circlotron »

Charlescrown wrote:I wasn't sure if the high secondary voltage would affect the module because in the std type coil the secondary is earthed out through the primary circuit but the Camira it has it's own earth through the coil frame.
On those "normal" coils where one end of the secondary is terminated at coil (+) the purpose of the capacitor connected from coil (+) to ground is to conduct the spark current from ground up to coil (+) to complete the circuit. You don't really want the spark current going down the wiring loom, causing all kinds of radio cackles and electronic misbehaviours.

That coil with the isolated secondary would be fun to play with. Feeding a steady minus 300-500 VDC into the end that normally goes to earth will measurably increase the spark duration.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

good news, was worth it, your neighbour will get over it and might even thank you for fumigating his house lol!
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Did a bit of tuning today. Haven't got the wideband setup yet so had to go on gut feeling. I was in a delema which way to go with fuel mixture as it was almost impossible to start and in the end I disconnected the injectors and away it went and the turbo roared. I didn't quiet know is it building up excess fuel from too lean or too rich. After some time of getting nowhere I switched the reluctor wiring around and bingo it fired up but very rich. I have now got the injector kinjflow down to 0.05 and drastically cut back the VE table and its starting to come good. It starts but still blowing some black smoke. The base program I used was one I have setup for one of my other cars. I didn't expect such a big difference but the Starion has 2 injectors which are of unknown value. The Adaptronic was set to 890cc each. Anyway now the fun starts.