DELCOing a Meyers Manx Buggy (VW 1800)

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
Jayme

Re: DELCOing a Meyers Manx Buggy (VW 1800)

Post by Jayme »

when I mucked around with the delco on the air cooled motorbike engine idling on the shed floor it hovered around 70 to 80 ish with a fan pointed at the head, but before that I wasnt looking and left it with no fan, it went up to about 138 ish then set a DTC coolant sensor out of range lol.
my coolant sensor was just jammed in between 2 fins on the head with a hammer :D
sprongll
cars: 1997 vw golf mk3

Post by sprongll »

Finally! I'm so glad someone has done a delco on a vw aircooler! I've been busting my hump trying to get the vw scene onto the delco for ages, and the closest I've got was a mate that threw a commo v6 into the back of his kombi ute, slapped a supercharger on top, then got me to set up a rt ecu on it. Might have another aircooler on the way, though, so I'm very interested in this setup.
Good work.

Sprongll.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

sprongll wrote:Finally! I'm so glad someone has done a delco on a vw aircooler! I've been busting my hump trying to get the vw scene onto the delco for ages, and the closest I've got was a mate that threw a commo v6 into the back of his kombi ute, slapped a supercharger on top, then got me to set up a rt ecu on it. Might have another aircooler on the way, though, so I'm very interested in this setup.
Good work.

Sprongll.
Awesome.

I too been pushing vw guys towards the delco but none want to hear a word of it lol. Stubborn bunch of old pricks :lol:

I love vws with conversions. One of my fav is a DC bay with turbo VN v6 engine in it.

Seen lots of suby conversion but no one seems to tune or know how to tune the stock ECU. Would be cool to delco convert a suby conversion in a vw :lol:
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
sprongll
cars: 1997 vw golf mk3

Post by sprongll »

Strangely enough, that's on the way, the kombi owners son is doing a suby conversion, and when he saw how the kombi went, asked if I'd do the same for his. So when the time comes, i'll be doing a write up on it.

Sprongll
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

can't wait.

I got a type 3 for that "one day, i'll get around to it" project.

I want to do a suby conversion on that. only there is a guy in the states that fully redeveloped the suby engine plus a guy in qld who redeveloped suby gearbox joined forces to product a complete bolt in solution that is specifically made for the vw. Doesn't even sound like a suby, sounds just like ac vw engine! Available from the package choices is a 2.8L EJ based engine. Pretty sure no one has achieved this displacement before. oh and turbo is optional on the 2.8 :D
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

you can buy adaptors to bolt most engines onto a vw box even BBC lol.the delco used to be used heaps on vw's back in the day ive read heaps of threads about them years ago
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

nah I wasn't talking about vw boxes. check this, this is the go for vws these days. The guy has got LS1 adpaters for these. http://subarugears.com/
I was thinking of doing one for holden v6 but don't have need for one myself. Ideal for a kombi but I never plan to own one so I don't think I will pursue that.

But alloytec with suby box would be a good one for most models of vw and rear engine cars due to being so compact and light weight and powerful. 157Kg complete is the current SIDI alloyec.

The vw gearbox isn't very good imho, blew one up with a 65hp engine lol, cost a fortune to build up and you still only have 4 gears.
OZ38
cars: VY V6 Commodore ute.
VS V6 Commo sedan.
VT V6 powered 4x4 Hilux ute.

Post by OZ38 »

Awesome to find this. My younger bro (we're not really young anymore ha) has wanted to go EFI Delco on his VW split window kombi for some time now. But I really didn't know how to go about it.
This thread shows what can be achieved. Well done.

Cheers

Deek
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

no excuses now :)
Macca97
cars: hj ute, hz wagon, copious amounts of random half started side projects

Post by Macca97 »

dad wants to efi the vw trike, i guess he can now after I saw this
why have one 202, when you can have 12 and counting, 30+ car graveyard just for fun aswell