LS1 PCM TunerPro Not Able to Connect

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
Scott68B
cars: MGB GM 5.3 GM LS1 ECU

LS1 PCM TunerPro Not Able to Connect

Post by Scott68B »

Hello,
I'm in the middle of an LS swap into my MGB. I'm using an 0411 pcm. When I first got the wiring done and tested it I was able to connect with TunerPro via a cheap ELM327 cable with no issues. I was also able to connect with the ScanTool.net software that came with the cable. I was able to do a first start but at about the same time, I seemed to have lost the ability to connect to the PCM. With the ScanTool.net software I get an error "ODB2 protocol not detected". TurnerPro appears to connect but I'm not getting any data returned. I figured it was the cable so I just ordered another one but I'm still getting the same result. Has anyone encountered this issue before? I want to check the wiring more closely but haven't had a chance yet. Seems strange it connected before but suddenly it won't. Any insight into what might be happening would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Re: LS1 PCM TunerPro Not Able to Connect

Post by Charlescrown »

Check you coms port. I have had issues with scantool.net but can't advise with Tunerpro.
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

its pretty hard to stop comms from an 0411... you only need 4 wires to talk to the pcm... ign (blue 19) batt+ (blue 20), ground, and VPW (blue 58) going to the obd2 connector. if the engine runs, chances are its the vpw wire or a buggered pcm maybe..
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

What ADX are you using? Can you post it up? Theres rumored to be a working one for elm, but ive not seen it.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Scott68B

Post by Scott68B »

Thank you for the response everyone. I'll double check my wiring for sure. I'm using the ADX I got from this site which is here:

http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic. ... 320#p14773

It's probably something simple I'm just not seeing. I feel like I'm blind not being able to scan though. :)
Scott68B

Post by Scott68B »

I know this is a pretty old thread but I just got the radiator installed so I was able get my LS engine started and warmed up for the first time. I was attempting to log the event but again was not able to connect initially. Once the motor was running for a few seconds TunerPro started returning data and I was able to log successfully. Can't explain what happened but I'm not complaining now. :)

Just wanted to close this thread properly.
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Thanks for posting back, certainly helps others know whats possible and what might not work.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
crum

Post by crum »

I'm hoping to connect to my 2001 pcm with a ebay cable also but having a few issues. Just wondering what driver you used for the interface? Also how do you go about connecting with the tunerpro rt software? Is it just the aquire data tab once you have installed the .adx file?
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

When you say ebay cable you mean elm327? Should be just the cable needed, no drivers. The linked adx hasn't worked for many and vn5000 went on to sell cables on ebay without posting adx updates here. If you bought the cable as an ls1 cable you should ask the ebay seller. If you have any luck let us know what you figure out and if you can find a better working adx let us know too. I don't think many have experience with that elm adx here.

Tazzi has created a better tool called software on elm street http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3224 (SOE)