Nicks VR

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
Nick
cars: VR V8 A4

Nicks VR

Post by Nick »

Hi everyone,

I have been registered to the forum for some time now but first time posting. I am part of a couple of other forums so some of you may recognise the car from one of them.
This is how it started.
Model: VR Executive
Year: 1993
Colour: Marenello Red
Engine Type: WAS: 3.8ltr V6, With S/C 6 Cold Air Intake And K&N Air filter NOW: 5ltr V8
Exhaust: WAS: 2.5 inch Exhaust With Stock Cat and Advanced Headers, Twin 2 1/4inch Tips NOW: High Temp Coated Pacemaker Extractors Into Twin 2.5inch Pipes With Twin Magnaflow Cats Into Single 3inch with Lukey Muffler and Lukey Resonator
Gearbox: WAS: Standard 4 speed Auto NOW: Rebuilt 4 speed auto with Shift Kit
Diff: WAS: Standard Single Spinner NOW: Rebuilt LSD With 3.73 Gears
Brakes: (FRONT) 328mm HSV Grange Disc With Twin Piston Calipers (REAR) - DBA Gold Cross Drilled and ventillated
Suspension: Legal Height With Pedders Springs All Around Front: Pedders Sports Ryder Shocks Rear: Big Bore Pedders Shock, Nolathane Strut Brace
Wheels: WAS: 17" WH Statesman Internationals with polished face NOW: VS GTS Tri-Spokes
Interior: VS Clubsport Seats, Calais Interior Light, Calais Rear Map Lights, Series 3 Statesman Console, VS Leather Steering Wheel, Velour Sunvisors, Electric Windows, Calais Door Trims, Statesman Chrome Interior Handles, VY SS Pedals, Calais Woodgrain Dash Inserts, Fire Extinguisher And First Aid Kit
Other Mods: Respray, SS Driving lights, After Market Hornet Alarm, Debadged, Removed Boot Lock, Calais Carpet Peices Behind Rear Seat, SS Kit, S-Pac Spoiler, Calais Tailights, Calais Bumper Moulds, Chrome Exterior Door Handles With Painted Surrounds, Calais Chrome Window Moulds, Colour Coded Mirrors, Colour Coded VS S Pac Grilles or Chrome VS Calais Grilles And VY Side Indicators, Twin AU Thermo Fans, Walbro GSS342 In-Tank Fuel Pump In 80ltr Fuel Tank
Stereo: Pioneer DEH-P550MP Head unit, (Front) Pioneer TS-E1695 6" 3 Ways, (REAR) Pioneer TS-81680S 6" 4 ways, Cheap Audio Gods Amp, And Sony 12" XLS 1220 Subwoofer in custom box mounted in boot.
Future Mods: Would Like A Whipple, Not That It Will Happen Anytime Soon

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Before-Front
Rear-
After-Front
Rear-
On the car Front-
Rear-
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Before:
After:

The List:-
Resprayed Standard Colour
Colour Coded Calais Bumper Moulds
Chrome Door Handles With Colour Coded Outers
Electric Windows With Door Trims To Suit
SS Kit
S Pac Spoiler
Shaved Boot Lock
Calais Window Surrounds
Calais Rear Taillights
Retrimmed Roof Lining
VS Steering Wheel
Calais Carpet Peices Behind Rear Seat
Bebadged - Not one left!
Painted Mirrors

I think thats it so now for some pics.

Statesman console.

And got rid of the 3inch tip I had and put these ones on.
Before

After

Installed the VY indicators I had sitting around. Was gunna do them a while ago but didn't want to glue them on. Found another way around it so they are now properly clipped in.

Also a little extra woodgrain from the VS Calais. Turned out better than I thought.

CLICK THE PICS TO ENLARGE.

WH Statesman International wheels with hand polished face.

HSV Grange 328mm Rotors With Twin Piston Calipers front brakes with braided lines through the whole car.
These fill the wheel up a bit more.
The Next Stage

Bought this wreck early this week and picked it up on Friday night. Thanks to the boys at Jaustech for helping get it on the trailer and letting me know they had it stashed at the back of their yard.
It's a VR Berlina 5ltr. Only thing missing is diff and rear springs (like you couldn't tell, lol).
Yes I will be selling parts off of it but once I start dismantling. Any you want except anything driveline related and electric windows, just ask.
Parts will be posted in the for sale thread eventually.

Where it lived for 4 years.
ImageImage
The beginning of the journey home.
ImageImage
The new home for while it gets dismantled.
ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

Needed another K-Frame as you can see from the pics below the one in the car is damaged from the impact.

ImageImageImage

Thought I'd chuck on the dyno to see what the old 6 put out before ripping it out. Filter was really dirty too.

Blue= With Filter
Red= No Filter

Click to enlarge image.

The fun begins............

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Painted bay.
ImageImageImage

V8 K Frame In.
New Condenser.
Engine Ready To Go In.
Right Hand Side
Left Hand Side
Under Car
Engine bay
Coil And Module

ImageImage

Trans pan off. Looks pretty clean in there.
Trans Pan has a bit of crap but made sure to clean it out.
Image Image
Radiator And Fans Fitted. Also Second hand but good condition overflow bottle. Brand new genuine is obsolete ex supplier. Hopefully Holden finds a new supplier or rare spares starts making them.
Image Image Image Image Image

Got my polished Rocker Covers back. They came up really well.
ImageImageImage

The starter and heat shield

The old and new injectors.

Although a mate of mine used to work for the place that built the 5ltr sent some photos to me. I was told that it was rebuilt not long before the car got written off.

Thermo fan hook up.
Can just see the switch at the back of it. Put the relay in the box where the anti-theft relay goes and a fuse for it in the ABS fuse location. Looks factory using the spare locations for the relay and fuse.

Finally tuned.

New diff and panhard bar.

The new wheels are on.

Also got some leads made and bought some lead separators to help neaten up the engine bay.

This is how it sits now. Not much will change on it in the near future. Hope you enjoy.
Last edited by Nick on Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Nicks VR

Post by vlad01 »

very nice.

I found that v6 dyno with and without filter pretty usefull. It really shows now crap the stock airbox and filter is in them.

it also backs up my results as I didn't have a dyno but calculated the increase from data I collected.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Thanks mate. That had a K&N filter although it was dirty. Then took it out and left the lid off so it sucked direct air from the dyno fan, not much difference power wise really.
Glad it was useful to you.
vlad01 wrote:very nice.

I found that v6 dyno with and without filter pretty usefull. It really shows now crap the stock airbox and filter is in them.

it also backs up my results as I didn't have a dyno but calculated the increase from data I collected.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Nick wrote:Thanks mate. That had a K&N filter although it was dirty. Then took it out and left the lid off so it sucked direct air from the dyno fan, not much difference power wise really.

6.5Kw at the engine is what I worked out from your chart. Thats with K&N and OTR CAI before hand. Thats pretty good really.

When you consider bone stock it will be a lot more than that. I calculated something like 15Kw at least in gains on my VR with stock airbox and filter to a MACE CAI but I also have good exhaust to complement.

I used to have one of those OTR but lost performance as I later worked out the bonnet was blocking the intake lol.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Nick

Post by Nick »

vlad01 wrote:
Nick wrote:Thanks mate. That had a K&N filter although it was dirty. Then took it out and left the lid off so it sucked direct air from the dyno fan, not much difference power wise really.

6.5Kw at the engine is what I worked out from your chart. Thats with K&N and OTR CAI before hand. Thats pretty good really.

When you consider bone stock it will be a lot more than that. I calculated something like 15Kw at least in gains on my VR with stock airbox and filter to a MACE CAI but I also have good exhaust to complement.

I used to have one of those OTR but lost performance as I later worked out the bonnet was blocking the intake lol.
Yeah true. I had the Super charged 6 CAI and K&N filter and that was it intake wise. Exhaust was Advanced headers into std cat and 2.5inch back with one muffler and a hotdog resonator at the back. Nothing special really. The guy I sold the V6 too got it pulled down by an engine builder to get rebuilt. The engine builder said there was nothing wrong with it and that it was in very good condition also there was no need to pull it apart either. So that's probably the best you'll get out of a mostly stock untuned V6 I would say.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

yep, they are said to be 90 rwKw bone stock. your chart is the fisrt one I seen where the engine was stock and it seems on the money.

it will give me a sort of base line to compare to once i do get it dyno'd but of course tuned properly as well so i expect a bit more than yours. Mine is already significantly quicker than stock already so it will be interesting to see the figures.
The1

Post by The1 »

if you want to compair you can check my Mrs wagon, though it's an ecotec, but it's all stock, i just put a unifilter foam oil filter in the stock box. Tune is stock to only just spark dumbed down a bit, to agressive on knock sensors on flash pcm's
http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic. ... =40#p45341