Why don't rotary valve engines work???

For non EFI mechanical discussion
Chubs0191
cars: Fg xr, mk1 capri, hb torana

Re: Why don't rotary valve engines work???

Post by Chubs0191 »

The main down side for rotary valve is that a traditional reciprocating valve uses chamber pressures as well as spring to hold closed and a rotating shaft hasn't got effective means to seal for long term durability and i do know of a truck engine in an rnd department that has a lotus camless set up also runs 6and4 stroke just as a side note
jenko
cars: hilux v6
jaguar v12
mitsubishi lancer
fj cruiser
sv 21 camry wagon

Post by jenko »

i do know of a truck engine in an rnd department that has a lotus camless set up also runs 6and4 stroke just as a side note
but this is an electro hydraulic set up still using popet valves. Fiat and Alfa Romeo are also planning to use this set up
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

I think the biggest issue with solenoid valves is the size of the solenoid to open the exhaust valve early enough but saying that the Miller cycle could certainly take advantage of that. They will be with us a a couple of years I reckon.
Chubs0191
cars: Fg xr, mk1 capri, hb torana

Post by Chubs0191 »

Personally i think you are right the tech is on the horizon as far as publicly available vehicles goes they will just have to be bloody sure they are reliable from the get go otherwise they will never get off the ground