Speedo sender for Trimatic

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
Holden202T

Speedo sender for Trimatic

Post by Holden202T »

I guess this kind of falls under the ECU Conversion page.... so for those of you wanting to EFI an old holden which has a trimatic, or maybe even T350/400 etc the issue I have found is that there is no easy way to get the speed sensor from a commodore to connect to the gearbox.

I had someone make me up a fitting that adapted the trimatic speedo cable end and removed the cable and put a threaded end on it so the T700 sender screwed straight on .... this works fine but it is very custom and the guy didn't want to make another one! so I started looking at other options, and I was told the VL dash has a speed sensor built into it which accepts a speedo drive cable ....

so I purchased a VL dash and pulled it apart, and got just the VL speedo unit out of it, and in fact if you want to you can even pull the dial and the odometer part off it so really all that is left is a speed sensor and some electronics along with the speedo cable plug on the back!

we then fitted this to a jaycar plastic box, which has the speedo plug sticking out the side and the 3 wires needed for the pulse.

there is a small jumper cable from the main VL dash PCB to the speedo module, you need to keep this as your header for connecting the wires. on this plug there is RED BLACK and YELLOW pins, the red connects to ignition power, black to ground and the yellow is the 4 pulse output to the computer which on a 808 computer is Brown/yellow PIN A10.

for the record there are blue, green & brown also coming out of the plug, these are labelled as 2 pulse outputs, not sure what they are for but we didn't use them.

I will try and get some pictures shortly of the setup and also once we work out the pulses per km will update .... although it is in a race car so 4.11 diff and such will mean its out compared to a streeter :)

it cost $50 for the dash, and the trimatic speedo cable we already had, so its a pretty cheap and easy way to get a speedo sensor on an early model car if you want to EFI it and that's the only stumbling block.

this would also means if you used an electronic speedo ie. autometer/VDO then it would accept this pulse as well!

Edit: Pics added!
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_P1120545.jpg
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_P1120545.jpg (343.84 KiB) Viewed 12610 times
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_P1120546.jpg
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_P1120546.jpg (412.3 KiB) Viewed 12610 times
budwizer

Re: Speedo sender for Trimatic

Post by budwizer »

I did a 202 trimatic efi conversion recently and ended up buying one of these. pulled the plastic gear off the trimatic cable and pushed that on to the adapter. Then it slides straight into the speedo sensor and uses the existing trimatic cable holder.
20140224_143602.jpg
20140224_143602.jpg (204.39 KiB) Viewed 12572 times
then used just an adapter with a pulse sender for the ecu. and used a t400 cable for the cluster in the vc.
20140226_105117.jpg
20140226_105117.jpg (339.75 KiB) Viewed 12572 times
Holden202T Edit: cropped and shrunk massive pics.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

ok so that looks pretty cool, I could never find this sort of stuff, where did you get it from ?
madmaxisback
cars: VN Calais
VK Berlina

Post by madmaxisback »

Nice!
I run a trimatic in my VN Calais and would like one of these adapters too! Looks like I could just screw on the VDO VSS and away I go. Currently have a "custom" 1 foot cable made up with trimatic on one end and VSS sender on other... Not ideal but it works...

budwizer, could you tell us where you found this one mate? cheers
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

what are you running in front of the trimatic madmax ?
madmaxisback
VK Berlina

Post by madmaxisback »

Tough 355ci with banana's at the moment. Building a VT solid roller for it
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

hahaha nice :) its a humble little box that sure can handle a bit :P
HQ355
cars: HQ Holden

Post by HQ355 »

What manifold do you plan on using ? (Intake )
madmaxisback
VK Berlina

Post by madmaxisback »

HQ355 wrote:What manifold do you plan on using ? (Intake )
VN Group A with Perkins intake or Motec mate... No more :wall: :thumbup:
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

What's a motec worth these day's? Ive got one here for a rainy day.