Commodore lsd cone damage

For non EFI mechanical discussion
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Re: Commodore lsd cone damage

Post by immortality »

Interesting, I've never actually measured it before.... But

VN (manual) I just measured and it's about ~34° out (which is more than I estimated).

I'm certain my VS drive shaft was also out of phase but I don't think it was as much as the VN one (might have to pull it out).
IMG_2114_1.jpg
IMG_2114_1.jpg (366.4 KiB) Viewed 4203 times
IMG_2112_1.jpg
IMG_2112_1.jpg (813.26 KiB) Viewed 4203 times
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Post by VK_3800 »

Yeah you can get away with doing some strange things when you consider the system as a whole - e.g. you might be creating vibrations but they could be cancelling vibrations from somewhere else. You can also do things like run a different uni angle front and rear when the phasing is different.

The centre joint being a CV is very handy as you can basically do anything with it to alter the front and rear angles to what you need and it doesn't matter, that's why I adapted it for the Torana.

I've seen some which are 30-whatever degrees phased forward from the other end and some that are roughly the same but behind too. Couldn't really say what model they come from by the time some of them reach my hands.
immortality

Post by immortality »

It's odd though because the VN-VS Commodores were known for having drive line vibrations.

You are correct though, phasing and angles influence the overall behaviour of the drive line. It is possible that Holden altered the phasing to make up for a poor uni-angle at the diff. This does not make much sense though because the diff mounting (trailing arms) are a carry over from the VB-VL era where I don't think drive line vibrations were an issue.

If I get an opportunity I will pull the drive shaft out of our old VS which did seem to suffer from drive line vibrations although they didn't always occur consistently?

This video is quiet good. https://youtu.be/Idk3BVDVHq4
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

my vp one has a harmonic which sounds like 2 waves diffing in and out of phase once every half sec or so at exactly 98-100km/h ( peaks at 99 with waves being almost in phase, intervals slow right down to several sec apart). I never balanced it but its the only spot it has harmonics.

its set at 30-40 odd º
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

the vb runs them lined up no vibrations was 30 degrees or so out of phase originally i just set it phased due to habbit from 1 peice shafts LOL
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Dazza92VP
cars: 92 VP V8 Wagon

Post by Dazza92VP »

I changed a crapped out centre bearing on mine when I slid the boot back I hadn't marked it and lined it all up and half fell off the bench and popper all the ball bearings out put it all back together didn't have a vibration on accel now but vibrated bad from 40-60km/h tried several different places some made it better some made it worse eventually gave up and sent it out for rephasing
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Going back a bit to diff types, the 2 diffs I mentioned earlier don't have anything like a bw78 number on the sticker!

One has FF 92085128
s/n 033648
55 FF U033648

Other has BT 92187424
S/n 1235
65 BT U001235

So not sure how to tell which is better to keep?
immortality

Post by immortality »

FF I believe as a standard M80 open diff with ABS, 3.07 ratio.

I have no BT code anywhere in the listings for VT/VX models.

Does the diff with BT code have a diff ratio on it?
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

BT is the VZ LSD 3.08

Then I have a high performance (supposedly) in another VZ with BB on it & it's 2.87
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

I recall a few months back when I was looking for diff gears for mine that the gears are stamped with a 4 digit number, like 0578 or something like that which told you if it was vn-vs or later