Delco 265 Hemi install help

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
vjcoupe

Delco 265 Hemi install help

Post by vjcoupe »

hey guys

i posted this over on the just commodore forums and was pointed in this directions kindly form delcowizzard (thanks!)

my old man has a valiant vj coupe with a 265 hemi in it, he looking to restore it completely, plans are to refresh the 6 cylinder in it and we've thought about fuel injecting it.
We have a complete vn v6 engine, loom and computer, can we adapt this to suit the 265 and run the engine off the delco? Understandably we'll have to make up a fuel rail and also modify the intake mani to make it multi point injection.
Anyone done this conversion before? Can we use the factory coils?? ANY info would be great

Not looking for performance at all, its his retirement project

Thanks
Andrew
delcowizzid

Re: Delco 265 Hemi install help

Post by delcowizzid »

the easiest way is to use a electronic reluctor style dizzy like holden202 has if you can find one to suit the engine or make one with another type of engine say efi 202 dizzy like his you can get them cut in half and use the bottom of the val dizzy and holden top half.if you want to use the coilpacks you will need to make some form of chopper wheel to attach to the balancer on the val engine.
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Hi vjcoupe, if you have electronic ignition on the 265 just use that dizzy, for the effort to adapt the VN coil packs with the tiny gain you get it would not really be worthwhile. But, it would be pretty sweet having a wasted spark setup. Find a coil thats a non-resistor type and it should be fine.

There was a website around that showed a 265 delco conversion but I cant seem to find it now, will keep looking. But most things were very straight forward.

I have done a converison on a 340/360 chrysler and we used the factory reluctor dizzy (just locked up the advance mechanisms) and a camira ignition module - revs it to 7000RPM fairly often :)
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

VL400 wrote:I have done a converison on a 340/360 chrysler and we used the factory reluctor dizzy (just locked up the advance mechanisms) and a camira ignition module - revs it to 7000RPM fairly often :)
Does this mean the camira ignition module is also good for 6 cylinder engines? Good to know!
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
adrian

Post by adrian »

VL400 wrote: There was a website around that showed a 265 delco conversion but I cant seem to find it now, will keep looking. But most things were very straight forward.
Pretty sure someone on the Kalmaker forum has done this conversion some time back.
GONZO

Post by GONZO »

Try having a look at www.fat265.com he has some really good info on converting carby to EFI.
vjcoupe

Post by vjcoupe »

wow thanks for the responses guys

i found this site that adrian mentioned earlier not sure if it was the on he was referring to tho?
http://www.network54.com/Forum/190210/t ... a+265+Hemi

the guys recommend to use the loom out of a camira because of all the efi/ignition relays and fuel pump relays are on that one loom and all the wiring will obviously adapt to the camira ignition module as recommended earlier
How would you run an extra 2 injectors? Does the software in the computer need to be altered?

Thanks for all the help guys
Andrew
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

the injectors are fired together so you just need to splice another two injector wires into the loom .....

ant - yeah camira module will work for pretty much anything .... it really just gets the signal from the dizzy reluctor and gives it to the ecm, it doesn't care how often it gets the signal!!! then it just fires the coil when the ecm tells it to and thats determined by the setting in the tune (4,6,8 cyl)

if you have no luck finding the camira wiring loom (i couldn't) you can easily adapt a vn v6 loom to work with the camira module and coil ... just means more work to wire up the relays and stuff .... if you need help with it let me know i have been through it before!! :)
monaro308
cars: VT S1 LS1 C/dore track car
HJ GTS Monaro Coupe
CV8 V2 S3
VE SSV

Post by monaro308 »

Hi VJ....the camira,VN upto VS s1 from memory used "group" or "batch fire"injection where
all the injectors were triggered at the same time.
So all you have to do is modify the camira loom and add the 2 extra injector connectors.
You will be using the 808 Delco ECU and the VN/P memcal so that takes care of your 6 cylinder issues.
VL400 has some great add-on realtime tuning boards for the 808 coming real soon.
This is a must to diagnose where your at and save you so much time.
Also look at getting a wideband sensor to make sure the changes you do to the VE mapping
does what it should be doing.
Great tuners can get away with the bare essentials,but most of us newbies start off slowly and buy the stuff that makes tuning easier and faster and doing it safely.
It will become annoying and enjoyable......so have fun and have a go!
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

monaro308 wrote:It will become annoying and enjoyable......so have fun and have a go!
heheheheh that is soooo spot on :)