Kinda off topic.. Kinda on.. Bus hacking at its finest

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
vn5000
cars: vn v8 commodore

Re: Kinda off topic.. Kinda on.. Bus hacking at its finest

Post by vn5000 »

If the ose flashtool is legally allowed to clone vx vy v6 n/a pcms , can anyone think of a reason why I can not release this to clone ls1 pcms?
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

antus wrote:Im fine with theoretical discussion, but not about circumventing security. I imagine that any use of such a device could put you in the firing line after an accident, even if the device wasn't directly involved, but rather because it was on the bus and may or may not have interfered.

Man in the middle attacks are abbreviated MITM and searching on that will yield lots of hits, probably related more to pc security rather than vehicle bus stuff such as you propose.
Interesting read Ant!
But I do agree, anything in connection to security/bypassing security to install a module is a major legal issue. Wonder if JHP has thought that far ahead with some of their modules. Injecting override tester commands to force the vehicle to display certain information. :?
vn5000 wrote:If the ose flashtool is legally allowed to clone vx vy v6 n/a pcms , can anyone think of a reason why I can not release this to clone ls1 pcms?
I guess just like OSE tool, Think of it as making a "spare ECU". Legitament reasons for having a spare, or even having two ECUs where one is for track day and the other for normal driving.
Its up to the "user" to how they are going to use it.
Same with cloning a BCM or PIM ect as a spare incase these components fail. With time these parts could become scare thus spares are always wanted!

If someone has an ECU where something fails like an injector pin on the ecu, it would be good to be able to duplicate the ECU completely. This prevents the need for any (very frustrating) relinking procedures assuming VATS is still on.
I dont see why cloning the ECU hits any issues on your behalf. :thumbup:

It would be like saying microsoft is liable for everyone that has ever used windows and made malware ect. Its the user that is liable for how they use the software and what they do with it.
Well.. thats my two cents! :thumbup:
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

Well thats all sorted then. Bring on the LS software full featured cant wait!!
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

@VN5000: Free software already exists for the ls1 pcm - dimented24x7s tool, which works with the publicly available avt-852 cable. As for the legality I am not comfortable with your tool nor do I want to discuss here. PM me about this if you want.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Tre-Cool
cars: VY SS UTE, VX Drag Car

Post by Tre-Cool »

I don't really see the issue with having software capable of cloning an ls1 ecu. you can already do that now by removing the eeprom reading and then burning it to a new one.

both will require an investment in hardware to do it.

Has zero affect on me, as I have unlimited licensing for ls1/e38 ecu's, get it working for T43 trans controllers on the other hand...