Firebug's V6 Gemini

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
firebug
cars: Pathfinder Ti 550, L67 Gemini

Firebug's V6 Gemini

Post by firebug »

Hello everyone. I've been lurking here for a little while and thought I might make a few posts. I was referred here by Holden202T who has been an immense help in the build process of my little racer. I have learned a few tricks from him along the way as well. As far as tuning goes I can offer more questions than answers. It is a new language to me so I suppose I'll pick up dribs and drabs the more I listen and read. Anyway, below is my Gemini that I've had for about 5 years...

I finally made the trip to go pick up the Gemi. This will be the car I will slowly build as a track car. A mate and I left for Mooloolah QLD, just west of Caloundra Wednesday night and got back with the Gemi the following evening. Only took 23hrs Image

We used the mate's 05 F250 as the tow vehicle. 7.3L V8 turbo diesel made light work of towing the car float and at times we literally forgot we were towing the car at all. We averaged 14.5L/100km sitting on 110 - 120 most of the time which I thought was pretty good, and I estimated it only cost about $8 - $9 extra in fuel with the car on as compared to the trip up with an empty trailer.

The Gemi is a 82 model SLX. Built originally as a drift car but never used to drift. Still looks like a nanna's car at the moment, but goes pretty hard...

She has a couple of spots of rust in the usual places Geminis get tim worm. Bottom of the driver door and a couple of small spots at the bottom corners of the rear window. Other than that she is in pretty good shape for a 28yr old car.

The V6 conversion looks ok. Needs new exhaust from the heads backwards. Radiator is still only a Gemini unit so it will also be replaced with a larger one even though it is fitted with a thermo fan and has never got hot so the previous owner told me. The engine is series 1 VN Buick that appears stock along with the T700 auto. The B&M Pro Ratchet shifter is sloppy, but is brand new so should be just a matter of adjustment. Diff is a CIG locker that makes the car more than interesting to drive. I will be hunting a limited slip center for it in the future.
Suspension needs looking at. It's had a Makita lowering kit put through it that helps handling nought.

Planned mods:

Stripped interior, carpet, hood lining, sound proofing (if any).
Race seats, harnesses, roll cage.
Limited slip diff center.
Commodore hubs and brakes.
Lowered springs, shocks, maybe suspension rubbers.
Sports steering wheel to replace the fugly stocker.
Tacho.
Suitable rims and tyres.

Wish List:

Series 2 or later engine.
5 speed if I can get it to fit.

I have other projects waiting at home that need to be finished (and started) before I can commit any time or money into the car. So it will be a slow build. Any parts I can get cheap or second hand will be the focus as this will be a low budget build. Just thought I would share my little project with you guys now before anything gets started... :)
Last edited by firebug on Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My favourite colour of the alphabet is 3!"
firebug

Re: Firebug's V6 Gemini

Post by firebug »

A very quick body prep and respray in the original colour...

Last edited by firebug on Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
firebug

Post by firebug »

Last edited by firebug on Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
firebug

Post by firebug »

Reassembled. Stripped the interior including sound deadener. Floor painted, firewall installed where the back seat was, new parcel shelf, battery relocated and race seats in. New upper and lower ball joints, tie rod joints, full suspension bush kit, custom set King springs, VT front brakes and some eBay special wheels to hold her up for the time being...

Last edited by firebug on Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
firebug

Post by firebug »

Update...

Got the supercharger bolted up , coil packs relocated, new radiator, mounted the intercooler and its piping. a fair bit of fabrication involved getting it all to fit. At this stage I was only trail fitting everthing. I'm pretty happy with the result... :)

Next on the list is bigger injectors, new computer and tuning. I acquired a laptop for the job so hopefully in the not too distant future some tuition in tuning the Delco computer is in order. Image
Last edited by firebug on Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
firebug

Post by firebug »

New wheels were in order as the old rims were just too close to the calipers, even with wheel spacers there was about 1mm from inside of rim to caliper clearance. So late last year I went out and bought some second hand 16" wheels. Some careful measuring suggested they would fit nicely over the brakes and not hit the guards. They were also lighter than the 15's that I had on there. They were a little rough with rash and peeling paint...

Once the old tyres were off we discovered one rim had 2 dents on the inside edge. So off to the wheel repairer it went. Was pretty cheap and came back perfectly round. Then off to the sand blasters to shed all the flaky paint...

Then they received a very quick sand to remove the worst of the gutter rash. These are track wheels so a little character is ok. Then they were etch primed and given a couple of coats of satin black...

Wrapped in sticky tyres...

Fitting the new shoes was a different story. Plenty of clearance for the brakes, but the rim touched the bottom of the shock at full droop. I would rather do without spacers so I moved the lower shock mount up and inward. Now the tyre just touches the shock at full droop. I'm pretty happy with that...

A couple of new fuel filters and an 044 pump now feeds the fuel to the front. New blow off valve installed. Catch can is now in and ready to be plumbed to the pcv. Fuel pressure regulator also in and ready to go when I buy more fuel line...

Harnesses finish off the inside for now...

Dusty and in need of a wash...

Last edited by firebug on Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
firebug

Post by firebug »

A few shots of a weekend in April last year during its first ever drive since I've owned it. A few bugs to iron out. I need to make a trans dip stick tube so I can get some more fluid into it. Had some slippage when cornering. Tensioner pulley needs some modifying as it was allowing the belt to walk over the front of the pulleys. We lunched one belt and almost a second because of this. I since found the suspected problem and fixed it...

Last edited by firebug on Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
firebug

Post by firebug »

A couple of shots of another track day April this year. A very wet day that tested everyone's abilities...

Some incar footage of me suffering fuel surge mid track...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uluP8tM6vM[/youtube]
Last edited by firebug on Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
firebug

Post by firebug »

How it looks now before the planned L67 transplant...

A short vid of the engine running...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcD_T-JxopA[/youtube]
Last edited by firebug on Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
firebug

Post by firebug »

So this setup is at about its limit with the SC14 spinning way faster than it was ever intended. Mind you it is now doing everything that is asked of it. We put it on for a bit of a giggle but found with the right tuning it can pack a fair punch into a stock 3800. However to get more power now we need a better platform to start with so I managed to pickup a tidy VX Spac full of L67 goodness...

Holden202T checking out the stock tune...

I will start dismantling the old V6 this weekend ready for the engine swap... 8-)
Last edited by firebug on Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.