kaBooms projects

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
kaBOOM
cars: Sirius Deej, VL Calais Turbo

kaBooms projects

Post by kaBOOM »

uh my wierd and wonderful projects:

First the delco powered ones. Now I don't really drive this, the engine is more my baby I have two similar engines for Alfa 33's as development hacks.

Its a Sirius, a one off, one of a kind Group 2A track car. It was built by my boss in the 80's. It runs a mid mounted 1500cc Supercharged (SC14) Alfa Romeo boxer engine. The engine has gone through several incarnations, including a SU fed SC14 setup, that leaned out, backfired and clean (really) blew the blower in half. :sad2:

The old EFI setup I did ran a $5D code base and really wasn't that crash hot. There where some other isssues here that contributed to the lack of performance (mostly the boost level and intake manifold design)

Since I'm doing a new, water to air intercooled version with different manifold and injectors, I think a code upgrade would help...plus I was sick of 160Baud logging.

Along side this are two other motors, both Alfa Boxers. Its the degraded road versions used for testing and the like, since I really can't drive the beast around on the road...

I don't drive any of these, looking after the engines is more than enough to make me happy. Hence why I want telemetry. The last thing I was it for some twit to break "my" engine! :rant:

---------------------------------

My day to day hack is a crappy old VL Calais Turbo, with a RB30DET in it. It runs the standard RB25DET ecu and the like. It has aircon. I really shouldn't have put a 5Speed gearbox in it...oh well...I'm gunna restore it to stock and keep the poor thing :) Its a terrible car but I love it.

Thats a very old pic, before I managed to track down some factory wheels for it. I'm starting a new job soon

My own personal toy is this...

...its not quite finished yet. I designed and built the whole thing from scratch, and its a fully compliant road car with VIN number. Sadly it runs a Subaru EJ20 Turbo (stock as per rules) which despite my most sincere efforts I can't make it sound nice....

The plan is to use it as the day to day hack. It has heating/air con etc.

I built it last year as a final year uni project :) It helped get me my new job (Industrial Designer/Electronics tech) so I'm happy. When I get some more money I'll finish the body off and get it registered....I had two disasters with body shell material. :(

As for that I'm drawing up plans for a new race car to run in Group 2a with a mate....built around a Delco...thats more of a CAD/paper project atm. Its had a bit of a spurt since I'm confined at home after I got my Tonsils and Adanoids removed last week...I still cant speak nor eat :(
...when in doubt, simply throw more electronics at it!
Holden202T

Re: kaBooms projects

Post by Holden202T »

sounds to me like theres no need to speak just point at the shed and off you go for hours of fun!!

definately looks like you have lots of kewl projects to keep you busy!

i think you will be pleasently suprised at $12P compared to a hacked up $5D boost code!!
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

yeah the $5d 2bar hack has been my enemy since the day i found it so shit its not funny real 2 bar code runs so much smoother at cruise for a start
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
kaBOOM
cars: Sirius Deej, VL Calais Turbo

Post by kaBOOM »

delcowizzid wrote:yeah the $5d 2bar hack has been my enemy since the day i found it so shit its not funny real 2 bar code runs so much smoother at cruise for a start
Well I gave up on map sensors and went the other way:

I locked off the Air temp sensor at 50Degrees, and used a Nissan R33 Skyline AFM with a level converter between it and the Map sensor ECU input. I also zeroed a few maps. Dodgy and nasty, but it seemed to work quite well but it didn't get over the major problem of that engine had too much boost, very poor intake manifold flow (hence heat buildup) and too high a compression ratio.

The whole idea of this motor was throttle response above all. Yes I made a mistake and buggered up. :roll:

I still personally think that a AFM is the way to go, however I really don't have a problem going back to a map sensor with the new code. Should rock! :punk:
...when in doubt, simply throw more electronics at it!