Mini Review TL866 Programmer

EPROM EEPROM SRAM NVRAM Flash chips, reading/writing hardware and software
festy
cars: Alfa Romeos

Mini Review TL866 Programmer

Post by festy »

Up until recently I've been using a Willem PCB3 clone eprom programmer, but finally decided I needed to upgrade.
The PCB3 uses an LPT port plus a separate power supply and needs a bunch of hacks to get it to talk to win7, but mainly I was sick of having to flip DIP switches and move jumpers every time I changed chips.
After a bit of research, I ended up with a TL866 Mini Programmer for roughly $70 delivered, including a bunch of adapters for PLCC, ZIF SOIC etc.
I couldn't find much discussion on this forum about these programmers, so I'm posting my thoughts on them.

There's two models available - the TL866CS and the TL866A. The A includes ICSP support, the CS does not. Apart from the unpopulated ICSP header, the only difference is the firmware (and price).

The software and firmware are being actively improved, with more chips supported with each release. There's something like 14,000 supported chips claimed, but they count every variation of a chip so in reality there's a lot less.

This is what $70 will get you from any one of the ebay sellers who stock them:
TL866.jpg
TL866.jpg (66.6 KiB) Viewed 28801 times
A lot of the smarts is done in firmware, so when you first install the program and connect the programmer you'll probably be prompted to update the firmware. And don't bother installing the windows program from the supplied CD, it will be a few versions behind so better to download the latest version from the start.
It doesn't need external power, just a single USB cable.

The GUI is pretty reasonable, but a few minor complaints. First, when you click "read" it opens a window with a few options, and two buttons - "read" and "cancel". Click read to read, but once that's complete you then have to click cancel to close the window. This is a common theme across the program, and a little annoying but not a huge issue.
My second gripe is that it IDs the chip prior to a read, and if you've selected the wrong variation of a chip it fails with an incorrect ID. It shows the ID bytes and you can then consult google to work out exactly what chip you have, but it would be handy if the program said "chip type xxxxxx detected". You can also skip the ID check, but still....

This is the interface - it has all the features you'd expect like read, blank/blank check, verify, pattern fill, file and buffer offset, serial number increment, auto-ID serial flash etc. It can also program a variety of Atmel and PIC MCUs, and test 4000 and 74 series logic ICs.
TL866_sw.jpg
TL866_sw.jpg (237.06 KiB) Viewed 28801 times
So I threw every ROM I could find at this thing, ranging from 93xx and 24/25xx serial eeproms, 27/28/29/49 series DIP and PLCC flash, old eproms from 64k to 4mbit, and every NVSRAM I could track down.
The only chip that it didn't support was the infamous CAT2444 from the VN Level 3 clusters but I wasn't expecting it to.
2020 update: the 2444 16 bit serial NVRAM is now supported! :thumbup:

I also tested my collection of dead DS1245s and it managed to program two of them. One failed to verify an hour or so later, but the other one is still going. I'd suspected the PCB3 might not have been doing a very good job with the NVRAMs.

One very surprising thing I found - this chip below still works perfectly. I pulled it from a decommissioned medical robot 5 years ago, but check the date code - they don't make 'em like that anymore :shock:
DS1230.jpg
DS1230.jpg (44.69 KiB) Viewed 28801 times

Oh - and the CS vs A thing... there's a easy to use tool available that 'upgrades' a CS device to an A model, so you then just need to solder the ICSP header on and you're away.

My verdict so far: Great little programmer for the money, pocket sized so perfect for taking to the track.
The GUI is easy enough to navigate, the device is fast at reading and writing, and supports all the chips we commonly use. :thumbup:
Last edited by festy on Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holden202T

Re: Mini Review TL866 Programmer

Post by Holden202T »

very nice write up!
ejukated

Post by ejukated »

how do you find it compared to the Willem G4X
festy

Post by festy »

I've never used a GQ4X so I can't really compare them.
My previous programmer was a Willem PCB3, which was probably cutting edge technology back in the early 90s.
The1

Post by The1 »

nice writeup.

Only thing id say with willem gq4x is dont buy their plcc adapters had contact issues, just buy em elsewhere or make your own.
festy

Post by festy »

A couple more pics of the interface.
It remembers the last 10 chip types you've selected, which is a nice touch.
TL866_hist.jpg
TL866_hist.jpg (231.24 KiB) Viewed 28717 times
And gives you some control over the voltage selection:
TL866_VPP.jpg
TL866_VPP.jpg (241.42 KiB) Viewed 28717 times
VPP isn't infinitely variable, but should cover most applications well enough.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

While my original and only GQ4x is still working fine and has never had a problem, I finally got around to trying a TL866CS. I was quite impressed with the read and write speed testing with a DS1245 nvram - more than twice as fast as the GQ. Running latest software/drivers from http://autoelectric.cn/EN/index.html which are currently v6.6 (came out in may 2017). Installed and running on windows 10 (10.0.14393) with signed drivers that shipped with the software. My device shipped with firmware 03.2.58 and updated to 03.2.80 cleanly from within the minipro app.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
jenko
cars: hilux v6
jaguar v12
mitsubishi lancer
fj cruiser
sv 21 camry wagon

Post by jenko »

I had been looking at those but I just purchased my Willem GQ4X yesterday. As always purchase something and straight away some one will tell you about a better cheaper option :roll:
pman92
cars: HZ One Tonner
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

Ive just purchased some used but tested winbond eeproms from ebay (the ones antus purchased and then said were good/genuine in another post).
Before I go ahead and buy one of these programmers as well, will it be suitable for burning the eeproms?

Ive never programmed any chip in my life but looking forward to having a crack.

Thanks
VR-VY Holden BCM Simulator: View Post
MrModule.com.au
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

I dont think they were winbond, just chip pulls, but I cant remember now. Either way all the generic types are supported, and most the obscure ones so I would take it as a given provided that seller is still doing the right thing it'll be fine.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396