LS1 need help how to tune

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
l67 vy

LS1 need help how to tune

Post by l67 vy »

hi guys so ive got a new ride and id like to start playing around with tunes. i have and aldl cable from The one and a eml 327 china cable
so far ive read and tried lots of different things but cant work out how i can flash the ls1 pcm and which cable i require to do it.
so if anyone can help me out id be thankful
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: LS1 need help how to tune

Post by antus »

Elm can not flash ls1, aldl talks to body modules but not the ls1 '0411 engine computer which uses vpw 4x and large packets for flashing. If your looking for cheap and are very technical and interested in helping up improve our tools look at the avt-852 cable and dimented24x7 flash tool. If you want an off the shelf solution so you can flash straight away and just want to learn tuning look at hptuners or efilive.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
l67 vy

Post by l67 vy »

ok so i was just reading the ls1 flash thread. is the flash tool mentioned in the the same one as the ose enhanced? also what programs do you use for vpw. i tried scantool.net but it times out to fast and i cant seem to get it communicating with pcm.

i will try a avt-852 cable and dimented24-7 flash tool is there any links for the software?
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

The AVT cables arnt cheap so I would suggest to not go in to this lightly. You will also need a matching XDF for your engine computer which might not be available. The tool is available from the thirdgen forums, and you will need to sign up there. http://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-prom ... ash-4.html

We might have a tool and hardware of our own for ls1 in the future. Another forum member is looking at hardware but there is no time frame for software write support yet (other than dimenteds). Dont buy anything based on hardware or software not yet released.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
l67 vy

Post by l67 vy »

I've been thinking of ways to cheaply program these ecu's. So I've wondered if there is anything stopping me unsoldering the flash ram then using a pprogramer to write the bin on?
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Thats quite a soldering operation and you need to source sockets but if you can pull it off it does work.
l67 vy

Post by l67 vy »

great thats just what i like to hear. i can pull off the soldering quite easy as i make smart meters for a living. which programs can i use to edit the bin files? would the demo version of hptuners or efi live suffice? and would anyone have a bin file for the 300kw ls1 tune available as a starting point?
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Start with a hsv bin, check the factory tunes thread. Hptuners and efilive dont work with raw bin files. Use tunerpro and one of the public xdfs. They may take some finding the main aussie 2003/2004 OS is available on this site with the main tables defined. Currently on a phone on a tram, can find a link later. The vin number is in the bin, and probably checksumed. Read yours first and copy the whole block to the new bin before burning. It'll be at 0x4000 or 0x6000 depending if and how many times its been flashed. See the intel data sheet for the flash block addresses.
l67 vy

Post by l67 vy »

is this the bin and xdf you are refering to? viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3845
will this bin be able to write to a wk caprice and retain all functions?
or will this xdf work with my bin file allowing me to read and edit it?
sorry im still learning about all this. i have the hardware skills but the software may take some learning
l67 vy

Post by l67 vy »

ok ive found that i cant use this xdf for my bin. so whats the best way to edit the bins? or am i best off burning this bin to my pcm with vats disabled ?