vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Ecotec Manifold Porting

Post by vlad01 »

delcowizzid wrote:boost a marvelous thing ecotech lower runners will go over 500rwkw 3 people have been there allready with custom plenum on top
with forced induction yes, N/A only around 200 and thats why they only ever get to 200 ish.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

v6bucket wrote:What brand of forged piston was used?
im quoting my mate here: "diamond forged pistons with true seal file fit rings"

vlad wrote:with forced induction yes, N/A only around 200 and thats why they only ever get to 200 ish.
then its a good thing we are talking about a boosted engine, where every restriction you can remove from the intake path helps that little bit.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Jayme wrote:
v6bucket wrote:What brand of forged piston was used?
im quoting my mate here: "diamond forged pistons with true seal file fit rings"

vlad wrote:with forced induction yes, N/A only around 200 and thats why they only ever get to 200 ish.
then its a good thing we are talking about a boosted engine, where every restriction you can remove from the intake path helps that little bit.
I wonder how much would be possible with my manifold design?

Im guessing with a serious build well over 1000hp. not talking crappy iron heads either just fyi
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

you are right... the iron heads are crappy... prone to cracking. this engine had some really well ported heads... cracked. for now its back to the best stock heads we can find, then combustion chambers cleaned up. will worry about porting later.

as for manifold...... sure, send me one and ill dyno test it on a boosted ecotec for you :)
vlt304
cars: eh premier sedan v8 vl commodore

Post by vlt304 »

boost can get past even the crappiest port it is just a matter of how much PSI you are game enough to subject your turbo too :thumbup: pressure is just a measure of restriction at the end of the day less restriction means more air for less boost pressure.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah but i think the thing here is that anything running boost is going to make a shit manifold flow totally different to N/A .... regardless of good or bad flow characteristics, 15 psi or 30 psi, if the turbo can handle it, it knows nothing of the down stream restriction, it just feeds it in, the only difference is 15psi zero restriction is probably going to make more power comparitively than 20-30psi with restriction.

weather this manifold mod actually makes an ounce of difference or not i guess is hard to say without back to back comparisons on a dyno or similar, but at the end of the day its going to have alot more chance of helping there to be one less restriction.

i know from personal experience with boost that simply changing the cam can make a massive difference on the same boost setting, this tells me that it was at least one of the restricting factors in another same spec motor.

in a perfect world we'd have no restrictions, engines would be so efficient its not funny, but thats just not practial to make them compact, efficient and more than anything else cheap to produce!
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Whats the purpose of that funny restriction? Is it to make the casting simple? I do know the Astra/Vectra had a similar restriction but it was in the throttle body to make the accelerator and the cars response be acceptable to the average driver.