VN-VS tailshaft capabilities?

For non EFI mechanical discussion
delcowizzid

Re: VN-VS tailshaft capabilities?

Post by delcowizzid »

2 peice
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
ejukated

Post by ejukated »

vlad01 wrote:I killed one CV, well actually it was faulty from get go (aftermarket) as it was too tight to even move, basically seized. I thought at the time being new it much be how they come and they wear in. 200+ K latter it was still too tight to move and started to chew out.

So that was nothing to do with power, just shit quality. Everything else I have never had issues with regardless of abuse but all of them have been not a lot more than stock v6 outputs.

However an engine design I' m playing with basically an l67 which I'm trying to keep tame simulated at close to 580hp about 550 ft-lb flat line at 16psi but its getting tricky getting it less to save stuff breaking because I will be running the Whipple SC in below its best operating range if I run any lower boost and the pulley be huge potentially hitting the bonnet. Anyway, I can manage with the rest of the drive train holding up but tailshaft I haven't really seen anything thats an upgrade for them.

I feel that with those torque figures the tailshaft will just snap off instantly really damaging the crap out of the car underneath
What specs are you running on the L67?
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

It's just a simulated design at this stage.

ZZP aluminium heads
Stock displacement
Optimised cam for max area under hp curve from 2000-6500 rpm
9.4 cr based on stock 8.5 specs and head gasket thickness with zzp heads.
Whipple 2300ax at 2.2 belt ratio at 16psi. (Turned down yella terra kit)
Non intercooled
Dedicated E85.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

Morrison CV and driveshafts in Bendigo. Seen good results from here.
ejukated

Post by ejukated »

vlad01 wrote:It's just a simulated design at this stage.

ZZP aluminium heads
Stock displacement
Optimised cam for max area under hp curve from 2000-6500 rpm
9.4 cr based on stock 8.5 specs and head gasket thickness with zzp heads.
Whipple 2300ax at 2.2 belt ratio at 16psi. (Turned down yella terra kit)
Non intercooled
Dedicated E85.
Nice be an interesting build. When were you thinking of building it? Be great to make a thread on here :)
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Will start getting bits after the red vp is done. So be a while. Plus need a better paying job :D
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Post by VK_3800 »

The small diameter isn't too much of an issue with Commodore drive shafts due to being so short (because two piece). Getting a 1330 yoke is a bit of a pain though, I ended up using a old slip yoke that is reasonably large diameter and sleeving it to fit the tube. CV joint will withstand plenty, the one in my Torana still has the standard rear uni which hasn't been an issue with hard launches and slicks, although we're not talking 500ft-lb torque (yet).
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Yeah I have to use a Dana spicer 1330 yoke because the Astro main shaft was designed around it. Older 28 spline yokes are 1 thou smaller and don't fit aka stock T5 yoke. So I got that already worked out.
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Post by VK_3800 »

Talking about the matching weld yoke to fit the Commodore shaft, its an oddball diameter tube. A lot of Tremec boxes use the 28 spline yokes with the 1330 uni.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Yes I found this too. Common sizes are 2, 2.5, 2.75, 3 etc.

Holden used 2.25". Good news is the tube yoke for 2.5 has tons of mean to be machines down to 2.25. The other thing is the commodore tube happens to be a thicker wall than most standard tube so extra strong for its diameter.