Berry tuning tool

Programs / Tools / Scripts
jezzab

Re: Berry tuning tool

Post by jezzab »

What a load of crap! Snake oil. If he uses any commands it will need security access and I cant see him working out the algos for all those cars, let alone all those cars supporting all the commands. ELM327? wtf lol An E38 ECM would blow the doors off the thing with PPEI data in seconds. Probably plugs in the OBDII port and then as part of the install you have to put the special "adaptor" into the IAT sensor (which contains the magic resistor that does the tuning).

Love the bit about not voiding your warranty though. Because you can remove it if there is a problem and the OEMs cant tell :driving: And like rolls said, leaning it out isnt better for emissions, creates more NOx emissions. Kinda why they got rid of lean cruise after VY.

Oh and it magically stops "tuning" if there is an engine fault bwhaha. Come on. Whats it doing? Constantly checking DTCs? Or is it reading the PPEI data for all the major modules? It can't, too much data for the little ELM
Last edited by jezzab on Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rolls
cars: bf xr6t falcon

Post by rolls »

Some cars you can get security access by sending an ECU reset command which looks like an ignition cycle. It is plausible that they have worked out security access for a few large companies, I mean HPT did manage it with ford, gm, dodge, chrysler, mercedes and a few others.

However with security access I'm very sceptical how you can actually tune the car without flashing the ROM.
jezzab

Post by jezzab »

rolls wrote:However with security access I'm very sceptical how you can actually tune the car without flashing the ROM.
I agree. I just cant see how they could do anything. Oh well, see what happens if it comes out
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Post by MAGP »

jezzab wrote:Kinda why they got rid of lean cruise after VY.
Not quite correct, VZ was available with DOD (Displacement on Demand) and also had a new automatic 5 speed on various models so lean cruise was redundant.
rolls

Post by rolls »

MAGP wrote:
Not quite correct, VZ was available with DOD (Displacement on Demand) and also had a new automatic 5 speed on various models so lean cruise was redundant.
Actual lean cruise is gone though as it cause high NOx levels which don't meet current emissions standards. Totally cutting a cylinder off means you are still in the stoich range.

https://books.google.com.au/books?id=KZ ... 2F&f=false

This book describes fuzzing the 0x2F IO command where if you know the DID (data ID) of the input/output you are trying to emulate you can modify it. I suspect you can modify the intake temperature or knock sensor readings to get more commanded ignition and leaner mixtures.

Anyone know where I can get a list of DATA IDs for Ford?
rolls

Post by rolls »

You can do fault injection with ptDiag (Ford) which appears you can add a bulk fuel multiplier. It only connects with a MSC1 however if I can get it to work with an open port I might log what it does. Maybe using simple things like this is how their tool works.

You can buy a scantool subscription for about $6k a year at etools which I suspect contains all of the OEM specific commands. Most of the manafacturers make you sign an NDA if you buy this subscription though so that you don't release the information.
http://www.etools.org/ETIFullMembership

Maybe what he is suggesting is easier than you think if you already have access to a scantool database like the above. It would be interesting to speak to someone in the OEM business to see if they are aware of stuff like this being published in closed circles like the above.
MAGP

Post by MAGP »

rolls wrote:
MAGP wrote:
Actual lean cruise is gone though as it cause high NOx levels which don't meet current emissions standards. Totally cutting a cylinder off means you are still in the stoich range.
Current standards are Euro 5 while the VZ was Euro 3. Emission standards look at overall emissions so stopping half the cylinders firing cuts the emissions from halve the cylinders while running lean cruise only reduces a certain portion of the emissions of all the cylinders.
jezzab

Post by jezzab »

MAGP wrote:
Where was DOD available on VZ? Yes they had the L76 engine but didnt use the DOD/AFM. There is nothing connected to the plug for the solenoids on the valley plate. AFM/DOD wasnt available until VE. And the L76 was the 6 litre, not the 5.7 in the VZs (which does not have Lean Cruise turned on at all in the tune). And the V8s were all 4 speed auto 4L65E on the 6L and 4L60E on the LS1 5.7
Last edited by jezzab on Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
MAGP

Post by MAGP »

jezzab wrote:
MAGP wrote:
Where was DOD available on VZ? Yes they had the L76 engine but didnt use the DOD/AFM. There is nothing connected to the plug for the solenoids on the valley plate. AFM/DOD wasnt available until VE. And the L76 was the 6 litre, not the 5.7 in the VZs (which does not have Lean Cruise turned on at all in the tune). And the V8s were all 4 speed auto 4L65E on the 6L and 4L60E on the LS1 5.7
You are correct the L76 in the VZ wasn't DOD enabled.

The 5 speed was available in the VZ behind the 190 kw Alloytechs from memory.