how do i read vr eeprom data through vn ecu/memcal?

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
wannab
cars: 200KW 5 Litre vn v8

how do i read vr eeprom data through vn ecu/memcal?

Post by wannab »

Gday all i have a custom tune burnt onto the larger vr eeprom and am running it through my standard vn ecu/memcal. ALDL data or diagnostis mode does not show up with a cable attached to the cars loom however when a vn memcal/eeprom tune is plugged in everything works fine. Is there a way to read the aldl data with my current setup or do i need to go back to a vn eeprom or even upgrade to a vr ecu/vn ecu mod?

Cheers in advance your comments are more than appreciated.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: how do i read vr eeprom data through vn ecu/memcal?

Post by antus »

If the custom tune is set up for high speed comms (eg ose12p or kalmaker) then it'll be coming out different pins on the cpu and you'll need the high speed comms mod to get the data. the standard 8192 baud data pins arnt connected to anything as they arnt used in the factory tune (factory 160 baud data comes out a different pin). the size of the prom is not likely the issue.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
wannab

Post by wannab »

Jason did the tune about a year and a half ago so i wouldnt know what settings are on it... All i was told is that it is a vr v8 manual tune soldered onto a standard vn memcal. All i have at present is a aldl connector, usb-serial adaptor and my laptop with tunerpro 5/scannerpro/efilive v4 installed. Ive seen this thread and will get around to it when the sun comes up-https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=173 - seems easy enough.. , ontop of that ive got heaps of info, bins/defs and programs through this site to get me started! Will let you know how it turns out mate
Dec_head
cars: VR Calais

Post by Dec_head »

What about using one of these https://pcmhacking.net/forums/view ... f=14&t=164
Will also give you higher baud datalogging as well for tuning i fitted one to a vn vp ecm works great just plug the usb straight in.
wannab

Post by wannab »

I had a good look over the site and didnt see that neat little gadget! Got everything working this morning but after seeing what i can really do with a bit of online knowledge i might end up getting the realtime programmable vpropm and a base tune off this site to get things rolling.... still playing with the apps i downloaded off here last night :) so glad i got referred here just a quick question is jason (greenfoam) a member here by any chance?
wannab

Post by wannab »

got everything working the way i wanted it to, im currently looking into getting a vram for my ecu.. My question for the time being is can i dump whats on my current memcal to a pc using flashtool or TP5 with the plugin?? Also whats the best way about buying things thought the members on this site is there an ebay store or is it direct throught email/PM?

Cheers for your help guys.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

as above, you need the comms mod to support high speed data, to read the data over aldl. or else you need to plug the chip in to something that'll read it. i dont think greenfoam is a member here. pm is the best way to buy stuff, and posting on the forums is the best way to get help using it.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396