antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: So i have a crazy idea

Post by antus »

Pitty we cant just load a different definition file in the PIM.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

mmm.. that would be preferable.

Or, have a middle man device between PIM and rest of car on the ALDL line. Should be able to do a conversion on the temp on the fly.
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Even better make own pim from some kind of development board with CAN and software UART serial. It shouldnt take much extra hardware to interface with the CAN computer and ALDL @ 8192. Like anything though reversing the packets from both systems and writing the software and getting it working properly would take a lot of time and probably make it unfeasable, especially without the car available. Some of the ALDL packets and PIM stuff was documented (by Jayme) which would help, but finding and understanding minor changes between models/variants would be a PITA.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

antus wrote:Even better make own pim from some kind of development board with CAN and software UART serial. It shouldnt take much extra hardware to interface with the CAN computer and ALDL @ 8192. Like anything though reversing the packets from both systems and writing the software and getting it working properly would take a lot of time and probably make it unfeasable, especially without the car available. Some of the ALDL packets and PIM stuff was documented (by Jayme) which would help, but finding and understanding minor changes between models/variants would be a PITA.
I like that.. do away with the PIM completely.

Would be a bit more work.. but better control.
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Cool thing about that is you could install VY dashboards in to any project car with a canbus computer, or if theres 2 software serial ports could make it support any aldl computer source as well by changing the definition.
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

If trecool is up for the idea. Could always whipped together a quick middle man ALDL device. Should then be able to easily see exactly what the PIM injects.. alter its packets and see how this affects the temp.
I definitely know I have the ALDL packets for broadcasted engine written down, did it when I had my VY V6 still.
Tre-Cool
cars: VY SS UTE, VX Drag Car

Post by Tre-Cool »

Tazzi wrote:If trecool is up for the idea. Could always whipped together a quick middle man ALDL device. Should then be able to easily see exactly what the PIM injects.. alter its packets and see how this affects the temp.
I definitely know I have the ALDL packets for broadcasted engine written down, did it when I had my VY V6 still.
For fucking sure i'd be keen.

Finally got my ute running again, it'll be going to Nelg's alloy mods in rockingham in a couple of days as he does all my fab work (and is like 100m from my workshop too). needs intercooler pipework & exhaust to be done. (engine is a forged ls3 with twin gtx35's)

So far i have tacho and speedo all working correctly, had to do a 12v pullup for the tacho with a 680ohm resistor. Now the speedo was also interesting too, the 6l80e transmits speedo data to the ecu via canbus, then the ecu outputs the data on pin 57. Which is supposed to be a 4000ppm signal.

I say supposed to be because i lifted the car up at the diff & with the relevant parameters put into the tcm/ecu for my diff gears, when logging the trans/ecu at 100kph ( well anything) they both matched but the dash was only reading 40kph.

I ended up having to modify the vy dash cluster to the lowest setting of 3000ppk & fudge with some tables via efilive in the ecu. With that done, the trans still reads correct, but the ecu now reads about 20kph higher then the trans, however the dash matches the trans speed.

Now Im also using a vz steering wheel from an sv6 and i cut the wires at the stereo for the 2 wires that go through to the clockspring for the stereo controls, i re-purposed them for the tapshift, 1 wire gets 12v to feed the led lights in the buttons & the tapshift function. The other wire is the return to the tcm for tutd control.

Im running a standard vy 4 speed shifter, Drive is drive, 3rd is my tapshift mode. I could change this if i wanted to but i wanted to have a normal drive mode function and a manual/tapshift option.

So the only thing left to fix would be get the coolant temp working on the dash & check engine light (I need to test pulling the uart wire out of the cluster to see what happens, since i've set it to mask errors) and see if that clears the low oil pressure/check engine light.

A really nice to have feature would be to get cruise control working also, in the vz gen4 v8 cars this was handled by the pim module, in the ve's it's the bcm since it's done over the canbus.

The other thing that also needs to be worked out is having a device that can send a voltage signal out when the trans is in reverse to trigger the reverse lights.
There is a device in the usa that does this for some jeep conversion, it polls the canbus & im assuming listens for the Reverse signal being broadcast.

Lingenfelter also make a device that can trigger upto 4 devices/signals based on canbus data too.