cars: VN S Pack
VX Berlina Series 1
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
RN105 V8 Hilux
VT Series 1 Track Car

Pi-Hole

Post by psyolent »

So yeah.
Basically a blackhole github repo which installs on a Pi (or Centos, like I just did) - you can edit your DHCP scope and set the pi-hole as your DNS server OR do it on a one by one basis.
Idea is it will block any advertising shit so you don't even download that crap and eat up your bandwidth. seems pretty OK so far.

https://pi-hole.net/
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Pi-Hole

Post by vlad01 »

can you see if it works on photobucket? problem I am having there is they block ad blockers and "anti anti ad blockers" just break the site (infinite loading wheel)
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
psyolent
VX Berlina Series 1
RN105 V8 Hilux
VT Series 1 Track Car

Post by psyolent »

yes it does actually. it went spastic on photo-fucket. that ironically was one of the first things i tried. lit up like an xmas tree. best bit about it is it lessen the amount of traffic you download so help speed things up at your end and ; also avoid malware and other sniffing type shit eg: keyloggers or other hijacking related crap.

as mentioned on stalkbook, when you set it up, you tell it if you want it to be a DHCP server, give it an external DNS to contact eg: google on 8.8.8.8 for its forwards, then, either manually reconfigure your PC to point to its IP as your DNS server OR update your DHCP settings on your router to use it as the first DNS server (then have 8.8.8.8 as your secondary)
Cheers,

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
psyolent
VX Berlina Series 1
RN105 V8 Hilux
VT Series 1 Track Car

Post by psyolent »

oh, if you install on CentOS then you have to disable SElinux too. permissive wont do it. disabled only. and it works with iptables AOK.
Cheers,

antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Any idea why selinux permissive doesnt work? I have not experienced such a thing, and it shouldnt be necessary. Are you sure the setting worked? How did you apply it? What did getenforce say?
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Do I need some device to install this on? I don't get how you set any of this up other than the client side DNS? The site doesn't have a complete guide looking at it.

Greg, can you set one of these up for me? lol
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

This sounds interesting but is a bit beyond me ATM :(

Found this online http://lifehacker.com/create-a-network- ... 95925?IR=T

Looks like a reasonably good guide. Looks like I'll be getting a pi to learn/play with :)
Last edited by immortality on Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
psyolent
VX Berlina Series 1
RN105 V8 Hilux
VT Series 1 Track Car

Post by psyolent »

Antus ; the install recommended disabled. getenforce when CentOS was built was Enforcing, so, updated /etc/selinux/config to disabled per recommended.
Never had alot of success with Sexlinux so normally just disabled it.

yeah vlad. you need a VM or rPi to run this on thats part of your network.
so you get into the OS, download (wget) a bash script which you execute - it makes calls out to repo's it needs to install and off you go.
you point your machines DNS to it and every time your browser does a DNS lookup, this thing answers - if the lookup is in a list of known ad domains, it blocks it, if it isnt it goes through and the resultant pages are rendered for you.

if you don't have a VM host then an rPi would be real suitable for this kind of use case.
Cheers,

immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

This is a good excuse to get a Rpi so I've just ordered one :)

Good find psyolent :thumbup:
psyolent
VX Berlina Series 1
RN105 V8 Hilux
VT Series 1 Track Car

Post by psyolent »

excellent.
sing out if you need help. easy enough to do.
Cheers,