Wh Caprice battery draining (fixin Holden assist issues?)

Information and discussion of EFI hardware and specifications
harrop.senator
cars: 74 trans am, 76 180b , 90 180sx, 90 r31, 94 senator , 01 vu ute

Wh Caprice battery draining (fixin Holden assist issues?)

Post by harrop.senator »

Assuming it's the Holden assist my step dad came up with the same conclusion after testing and research when he owned it. Now some of them do it some don't so I'm assuming it's an issue with the bcm or the assist unit.

I know I can't unplug the assist unit as it ties into the security of the car. Do statesman and Caprice run same bcm or can I put the statesman bcm in and the assist won't be powered? Or do I find another Caprice bcm and assist set up?

Another friend had the issue in his old boys same model and just replaced the bcm and it went away. This thing drains fast and is doing my head in. If you don't drive it everyday it goes flat.
Gareth

Re: Wh Caprice battery draining (fixin Holden assist issues?

Post by Gareth »

I've had a few where the battery in the assit module is knackerd and causes the drain.

I've also bypassed the module all together on one to sort it.
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
harrop.senator

Post by harrop.senator »

What would you recommend for testing to narrow down just what piece is doing it and how to rectify it?
FXST02
cars: VP V6 Auto sedan

Post by FXST02 »

Assuming you have a Multimeter https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF1gijj03_0

Sorry mate, too many pages open. Eric the Car Guy was the one I meant to post.
harrop.senator

Post by harrop.senator »

Yeah pretty sure that's what my step dad did when he found the current draw himself. A mates an auto electrician and is prepared to fix it once he knows how that's why i was trying to find info on fixing the Holden assist stuff in particular as he plans on finding the leak its just if its Holden assist as my step dad thinks he found I need to semi have a clue to tell him how to repair it lol.

A lot of wh Caprice owners have had this issue and have had Pro Auto electricians their paying retail (110-130 an hour) turn around and say just to keep a trickle charger on it and leave it so being quite complicated and specific to them I thought I'd find him some info before dropping my car off as will be a love job and they're a lot easier to give up on then a retail paying one.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Biggvl wrote:I've had a few where the battery in the assist module is knackerd and causes the drain.

I've also bypassed the module all together on one to sort it.
Having recently taken possession of a WH, I've found the battery is dead if I don't drive it within a 3 day period.
Spent time checking every possible cause starting with removing every single fuse and whatever else that was plugged in to both fuse boxes, which made no difference to the current draw, so I got to unplugging everything electrical from the engine and under the dash, til I eventually found unplugging the bcm under the dash eliminated the current draw, which leads me to thinking it's either the Holden assist or flat backup battery somewhere.
Then in searching for either on the forum here I was led to this thread.
Now I'm hoping someone can lead me to finding either the assist battery, or explain how to bypass the module, <-- preferred method, as the beeping on startup & shutoff is a little annoying.
Thanks.!
j_ds_au

Post by j_ds_au »

Don't forget to check the alternator.

Joe.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Seems the fix for this was easier than I'd imagined.
The telematics module in the left hand side quarter panel simply needed the main plug pulled and pin 12 bridged to 25 in the plug that pulls out of it to allow the fuel pump to run.
If you look inside the area in the telematics module where the plug was pulled out of, you'll see each of the 4 corners has numbers.
Top left is 13, bottom left is 26, so 12 and 25 are one in from the end , seems it only disables the pump unless bypassed / bridged.
No more annoying beeps on startup or shutdown and no more battery drain.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Cool, thanks for posting the solution back!
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396