cars: 01 Pootrol 6.5l chev
01 VT wagon ... sooo boooorrrring
69 Datsun 1000 4 door bliss (Daisy)
72ish Chamberlain C670 (Yellow Peril)
50ish dumper (Listeria)

Datsun / Mazda /Nissan / Ford Frankenstein motor

Post by reuby_tuesday »

Hi guys,

Thought that i should start a build thread for my project, where everything about this project can go to keep it together.

To give everyone the background the setup is as follows

Datsun 1000 4 door sedan
Datsun A14 block, A15 crank
Mazda B6 head (from Ford TX3) - looking for roller rocker gear from a late 90s Kia that ran the B6 motor (Sephia I think?)
Custom OHC setup to suit
300ZX T25 turbo with custom exhaust manifold - looking for about 15 psi - nothing massive
Mazda MX5 intake, throttle body, injection, and CAS

Expect to get around 150hp at the flywheel - give or take. More than enough for a 600kg car. Car is planned as a mean street car.

Want to roll with a delco ECU - for all the usual reasons.

Have acquired a Delco from a VXII commodore - V6 auto sedan - have also scabbed the plug and about 50cm of wiring harness and the ALDL plug from under the dash.
Service number 09356445.
Also has 16269248 above the barcode and *869248S520520122* below the barcode
VXSII V6 Auto
VXSII V6 Auto
I am still acquiring bits and pieces and plan to screw the donk together in the new year and have it in the test bed for trial setup before going into the freshly painted shell.

With regards to the ECU, (and from what I have read, people suggest that the ECU from a VN/VP/JE Cameria is the way to go (ole 808).
I'm yet to get my hands on the infamous 808, (the VX unit was free), and the seem to range from $150 to a crazy $500 online. They all seem to come without any plugs/harness for them, which is not much good for me.

I have read about bin stacking, and that sounds like a cool idea, although not sure if its really necessary for my needs. The VX unit should have enough space available to do this I believe.

Is it worth my time to hunt down an 808, or will the VX unit be just as good?

If anyone has any suggestions, or advise on extra bits ill need to chase down, that would be great.

Well that's it for the moment.

reubs
Last edited by reuby_tuesday on Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Re: Datsun / Mazda /Nissan / Ford Frankenstein motor

Post by Charlescrown »

There's an 808 from a N13 Astra on eBay for $20 buy it now with free pickup and collect from Woolies. I might need a brushup but I am sure it should have the right memcal for a 4 cyl multipoint. You can use a knock board from a V6 but it's not a perfect match with the correct 4 cyl one for your bore size impossible to get. Run 12P as it's already setup for boost. Your combo should go like a scalded cat. Very light car.
reuby_tuesday
50ish dumper (Listeria)

Post by reuby_tuesday »

Any chance you have the link?
I'm not having much luck finding it.
Charlescrown
Starion TBI with Delco
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

reuby_tuesday
50ish dumper (Listeria)

Post by reuby_tuesday »

Thanks Charlescrown,

Its on its way.

As for the wiring plug, whats the best solution for this?
Hunt down an N13 pulsar and see if I can hack out some of the harness?
Charlescrown
Starion TBI with Delco
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

There are a few choices. The JE Camira, the equivalent engine to the Nissan or the Nissan, their loom is longer because they have the ECU under the passenger seat, (the nissan looms are in 1 complete part requiring no chopping) or a VN which needs a bit of chopping to remove the excess fat.
The VN is the only one that has knock sensor wiring. Post the number of the memcal when you get it so we can work out if it's TB or multipoint. They can be modified. You may need to place a 256kb chip onto the memcal because 12P requires that size. Lets wait till you get it. To do logging you will need an adapter (not sure of it's name) and you may go down the road of using a Nvram to do live tuning. Both of these are available on here.
reuby_tuesday
50ish dumper (Listeria)

Post by reuby_tuesday »

Cheers for the advice.
Once it turns up, ill post up the details.
Is there a way to post images here or is it only through remote hosting?

Trawling through scumtree I have found an Ad listing a PCM as a VN V6 unit with harness.

The service number 16176424 according to a list I found on the interwebs lists it as a PCM for a VR.
If this is the case, then its not much good for me, but it is damn cheap at $25 with harness!
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Use 'upload attachment' when posting and add the file/pic inline :thumbup:
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
Charlescrown
Starion TBI with Delco
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Download the Memcal ID program. It's very well done and has lots of good info on ECU's etc. That ECU is from an auto and I don't think the plug is the same as the 808.
reuby_tuesday
50ish dumper (Listeria)

Post by reuby_tuesday »

Charlescrown wrote:There are a few choices. The JE Camira, the equivalent engine to the Nissan or the Nissan, their loom is longer because they have the ECU under the passenger seat, (the nissan looms are in 1 complete part requiring no chopping) or a VN which needs a bit of chopping to remove the excess fat.
The VN is the only one that has knock sensor wiring. Post the number of the memcal when you get it so we can work out if it's TB or multipoint. They can be modified. You may need to place a 256kb chip onto the memcal because 12P requires that size. Lets wait till you get it. To do logging you will need an adapter (not sure of it's name) and you may go down the road of using a Nvram to do live tuning. Both of these are available on here.

Quick question on the knock sensor stuff.

Do i really need this? Plenty of cars don't run with knock sensors. Sure its a nice to have, but since it works based on the frequency/resonance of the knock, the sensor would be designed for a very specific size.
I know that my brothers VSIII with 355 stroker had problems when he fitted a knock sensor from a HSV V8 (of some sort). It wasn't quite right and would register knocks when there were none.
As you said, If I'm unlikely to find a knock sensor and board that is the right size (unicorn parts) then a harness from any of the various 808 based cars is the way forward.

I have found a VN wrecking on scumtree in Perth. When I am in perth next, ill contact this gent for the harness and pooter if it is still there.
Is there anything I should ask for in addition to the harness? Just cut out as much length as i can?