psyolent
cars: VN S Pack
VX Berlina Series 1
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
RN105 V8 Hilux
VT Series 1 Track Car

Re: Gregs Fleet

Post by psyolent »

...........and the winner of the year goes to Greg........for running out of petrol literally around the corner from Big G's place in my primary VX, not the secondary VTX. Literally. I did get to drive a VN though w00t w00t.
we rolled into the driveway of the workshop after towing me there, and, the bloody thing started.
the gauge appears to be shat as Big G put fuel in and the gauge went over to half.
So went to the servo and put some fuel in it at the local BP.

So while it does kinda go, under load it gets death rattles/detonation like I have never heard in my life. So the trip home was a slow one. Big G I think we better order a fuel pump.

Big shout out to Big G. You are the man.
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Ohh, way to steal my shit hanging thunder.... should have left you there :lol:
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
HQ355
cars: HQ Holden

Post by HQ355 »

Rumour has it you just wanted to do a bit of train spotting
psyolent
VX Berlina Series 1
RN105 V8 Hilux
VT Series 1 Track Car

Post by psyolent »

yeah i did a bit of train spotting.
BigG i think i need to do a fuel pump big time. its not happy. sounds like a can of nails in the engine bay :|
Cheers,

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Do you think you might have had a shit batch of fuel??? Could be the root cause of all of this...
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

It could be. Not the first I have heard of this happening. Pretty common actual with safeway caltex.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
psyolent
VX Berlina Series 1
RN105 V8 Hilux
VT Series 1 Track Car

Post by psyolent »

I wouldn't have thought so. Only reason I say is I put fuel in from Shell on Sunday AM and then proceeded to do about 250km that day.
All good Monday
Not so good yesterday LOL
Its not detonating now but I am taking it easy on the old bird.
Also coming down the freeway to Bacchus yesterday it did lose all power, no reds, just foot to the floor and nothing, then it came back to life as i was coasting to a stop so kept on motoring.
I know coming home from Bright about 6 months ago it also did something similar. But it hasn't been a problem since. No reds, just loses power, then comes back to life.
I figure its an intermittent fault waiting for it to go bad so root cause is known, yes the inconvenience sucks, but, trying to find it when it only occasionally happens would be a prick of a job, like diagnosing the TC in my VN S1 a million years ago after Holden could not find it (sound familiar BigG, the problem was too hard for some :))
I avoid Caltex and Safeway fuel at all costs and normally stick with Shell & BP only. Even avoid 7-11.
Plus with BigG putting fuel in, the needle went to half way when it would have been under 1/4 - which is dodgy.
I figure a fuel pump ain't that much so will start there. BigG can you hook me up :)
Cheers,

Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Sure can :thumbup:
vlt304
cars: eh premier sedan v8 vl commodore

Post by vlt304 »

in the engine bay fuse box have a look at the top of the efi relay if it has a heat mark on it like a brown stain swap it out with 1 of the other relays i have seen this on many vt-vy commodores cause the problem you describe.
Attachments
vt efi relay.jpg
vt efi relay.jpg (9.6 KiB) Viewed 3736 times
psyolent
VX Berlina Series 1
RN105 V8 Hilux
VT Series 1 Track Car

Post by psyolent »

thanks vlt304 will check that out as well. good intel
Cheers,