1227165 ECU Questions

American Delco GM ECUs and PCMs, ALDL, OBD 1.5.
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: 1227165 ECU Questions

Post by Dylan »

There's a post "somewhere" on this I think somebody has already made one?
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

K1ng0011 wrote: I just have two questions does this need to be done in tuner pro like the .XDF? The second question I have is which of these .ADX files to I need to be using? With or without calcVE?

OSE_$12PV112_1BAR - Petrol.adx
OSE_$12PV112_1BAR - Petrol with calcVE.adx
Preferably in TunerPro, same warnings as the XDF you modded in regards to hand editing (although it does work, but can be risky with formatting).

The CalcVE ADX is better overall. It means if you now, or ever, get a wideband hooked in to the ECU it can calculate the required VE for wideband to match target AFR. Its not an auto tune thing that the ECU does on the fly, just means after logging can go through and see what the current VE was and where it needs to be without doing any math.
K1ng0011
cars: 1972 Camaro Base Model

Post by K1ng0011 »

So I got my fuel leak fixed. I got some orings for the fuel rail and that fixed the problem. Currently I am getting data from the 165 ECU to my android phone on ALDLdroid. I edited the Petrol with calcVE.AXD in tuner pro to convert from metric to imperial measurements. Currently I am trying to fix another issue that has come up. I have fuel to my fuel rails. However the injectors are not spraying fuel into the intake when cranking. It spray starter fluid in and it tries to start. So for some reason my ecu is not telling my injectors to fire. Also for some reason when I was moving the distributor to adjust the timing it did start once before I ever used starter fluid and I was never able to get it to do it again after I shut it off.
Attachments
OSE_$12PV112_1BAR - Petrol with calcVE - Imperial.adx
(82.02 KiB) Downloaded 315 times
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

The ignition module will give a spark pulse even without an ECU connected. You will not get anninjector pulse without a reference signal from the ignition module to the ECU.
K1ng0011

Post by K1ng0011 »

The distributor I got is brand new. So I think the ignition module is fine. More than likely if there is an issue related to the wiring to the distributor. I will check it tomorrow. Maybe a loose wire or something.
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

If you had spark I'd think the dissy side of the module wiring could be ok. It's a classic symptom of the ignition modules we run on our old V8's here on Australia. Spark but no injector pulse. They loose the reference signal or it becomes weak.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Or the power to the ecu isn't staying active on crank
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
pman92
cars: HZ One Tonner
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

Simple things but good to ask anyway

Are you checking injector pulse with an LED test light/noid light? Or using a globe test light or just assuming no injector pulse since it won't start?

Can you see RPM and injector pulse on the ALDLdroid app on your phone when cranking?
VR-VY Holden BCM Simulator: View Post
MrModule.com.au
K1ng0011

Post by K1ng0011 »

I have tried to start the car many times as I have been testing over the last day or two. I got a little worried that I was going to flood and hydrolock the engine I was turning it over so often. So I ended up pulling a plug from each bank when I was working. I found that the plugs were completely dry. At the fuel rail when I press on the schrader valve I am getting fuel spraying out so I know the fuel rail has fuel. So from what I can see I am not getting any fuel out of the injectors themselves. Its not popping either like you would expect if the timing was anywhere in the ballpark of being correct. I checked spark with a spark tester and during cranking I am getting spark. I did a little research on how a Electronic GM HEI ignition module works with the link below. Basicly under 400 rpm the module bypasses the computer. Then over 400rpm the computer takes over and starts to control the timing. I looked over how I had everything wired and it does seem right. It was mentioned that my computer may be losing power during cranking. I am wondering if that might be the case. Is there anyway I can check this? I do know that my bluetooth adapter does turn off during cranking.

http://chevythunder.com/ignition_system ... ration.htm
pman92
cars: HZ One Tonner
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

Quick and easy way would be to see if your phone app ALDLdroid keeps working and showing data while cranking, in particular you can see engine rpm from the ecu data stream while cranking.
Does your bluetooth adaptor share the same power source as the ECU? Or is it turning off due to low voltage when cranking?

Also check power to the injectors while cranking and check injector pulse properly with an led test light or noid light
VR-VY Holden BCM Simulator: View Post
MrModule.com.au