Ford FEPS

Ford information and tools can be found here
mtech

Ford FEPS

Post by mtech »

I have a J2534 adapter that does not have anything physically connected to pin 13 on it's circuit board. As a result, I am unable to flash Ford PCMs likely due to a lack of FEPS voltage on pin 13. Does anyone know if I can use an obd breakout box to manually assert 18v on pin13 and have the flash complete successfully? Are there specific timings where FEPS must be started and stopped? Can I just turn it on prior to flash and stop it when flash completes?
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Re: Ford FEPS

Post by Tazzi »

I Just have a switch from the FEPs pin on the ECU to battery power.

Turn it on, connect ECU, begin reading :thumbup:
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
mtech

Post by mtech »

Does the same hold true for writing? I am using Ford IDS and the software only writes. The first step it does is to erase the PCM. Does the voltage need to be stopped and started between erase and flash? I am afraid that I will be left with a bricked PCM.

What software do you recommend using to read the PCM? I think that would be good to have a full backup. The vehicle is a US F150.
rolls
cars: bf xr6t falcon

Post by rolls »

mtech wrote:Does the same hold true for writing? I am using Ford IDS and the software only writes. The first step it does is to erase the PCM. Does the voltage need to be stopped and started between erase and flash? I am afraid that I will be left with a bricked PCM.

What software do you recommend using to read the PCM? I think that would be good to have a full backup. The vehicle is a US F150.
Normally the process is as following:

FEPS 0v
FEPS 18v (as low as 12v appears to still work)
Cycle ignition off
Wait 3 seconds
Cycle ignition on
Perform security unlock within a few seconds
do stuff
FEPS 0v
Power cycle

It needs to see the 0-18v transition and then a power cycle.

Very hard to brick these PCMs. If you do an erase and it fails the write you can simply try again. The erase doesn't erase the RTOS so all the OBD handlers etc are still there. I've tried writing all 0xFF, corrupt data, pulling power mid write etc and I could not brick a PCM even when trying.
mtech

Post by mtech »

Thanks for the info. Do you know of any software I could use to read and backup the current firmware?
rolls
cars: bf xr6t falcon

Post by rolls »

You can use the enthusiast version of our software.

www.pcmtec.com