Commodore VX Auto Trans Failure - How To diagnose?

Information and discussion of EFI hardware and specifications
Holden202T

Re: Commodore VX Auto Trans Failure - How To diagnose?

Post by Holden202T »

yeah that :)
Wade
cars: Vr 5.0 statesman vr exec 5.0 turbo vy clubsport

Post by Wade »

I’ve found with these boxes once you start having issues with them, it’s easier and cheaper to do a full rebuild or just find a low k secondhand one. Fit a new trans cooler and converter at the same time. Back around 10-15yrs ago I playing around with them a lot. I was going through them almost on a weekly basis
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

lol, sounds bit like me. But I'm sure the autos were doing that just to spite me as I don't have any close to stupid power wise.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
oldn64
cars: Vq Statesman, VE SS wagon, VE Sv6, VY SV8, VL Belina

Post by oldn64 »

I hate these things.!

Actually I hate autos all together. My VQ eat 5 of these in 7 months. One I paid $1700 to get rebuilt and it went bang in 2 weeks. Guys stated it was abuse and no warranty, So I rebuilt it, for $600 worked better than it ever had and was great until the car caught fire for other reasons. :( still have her and have been slowly fixing her again, hopefully this year she will be finished.

How do you guys realign the pumps? I had huge issues with this and the input shaft seals sealing properly. Had to do it a number of time before it worked right, but once it was working it was brillant. The first box I blew up was stage 2 shift kitted and shifted so hard and so quick it chattered the planetary gears through the entire box. Only the case was good to use.

cheers
oldn64
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

sorry couldn't help myself :lol:
4l60e.jpg
4l60e.jpg (43.82 KiB) Viewed 4416 times
4l60e1.jpg
4l60e1.jpg (151.05 KiB) Viewed 4416 times
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
oldn64
cars: Vq Statesman, VE SS wagon, VE Sv6, VY SV8, VL Belina

Post by oldn64 »

ROFL, ouch that stings!

To close for my liking :S hehe

cheers
oldn64
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

yeah I googled 4L60E memes looking for a particular one I'd seen before, couldn't find it but I was amazed at how many there was including these ones. There was more provocative ones but I stuck to the the more tame funny ones above haha
JohnDee68
cars: L36 Vx Series 2 8/2002 Acclaim Wagon 3.8L ECOTEC II.

Post by JohnDee68 »

Hi everyone, thanks for all your feedback. I have, am still not been home since the initial trans oil pump exploded.

I have rebuilt the thing, refitted to the car and now I am having a little issue which limits my trust to head on a 700km trip home just yet with it.

I am getting the 1-2 hard change gear shift also very hard when just idle and going in to R or D. (if I drive it harder than I would like, such as first off at the lights) Then it seems to change OK.

I have two reoccurring codes which are P0748 and B27 B7.
Also note that there is a 48.3-48.9 (in RED) on Wideband-inj Volts in diagnostics software when viewing engine live data. don't know if its related to my trans fault.

I have again removed the trans pan and checked continuity of the loom, to the main connector, all are OK.
I have, the best i can now its in the car, checked the main connector seating to the transmission. it seems plugged in and secure.
I have checked for any blown fuses in the two fuse boxes, all are fine.

I have googled the code and it points me to a PCS (PRESSURE CONTROL SOLENOID VALVE). which hasn't relly helped me.

Any one able to tell me if i can run code or something else to test to help me fix the hard shift issues and the Codes please?

Regards
John.