Bench Setup

160 And 8192 Baud Aldl
oldn64
cars: Vq Statesman, VE SS wagon, VE Sv6, VY SV8, VL Belina

Bench Setup

Post by oldn64 »

OK, I have either gone mad, lost the plot or just am way over tired.

On Saturday I decided to start back into the dash, ecu hacking etc, it has been many years and I have probably forgotten more than I can remember. However, I started with a VY dash and ALDL cable. connected the units up and went to have a play but go no comes what so ever. No response from the cluster no information on my sniffing tools.

So went hang this and tried a VT cluster instead. Same result. Got worried I completely read the instructions wrong and so ran over the road to a mates place and plugged into his VY crewman and got responses on the tools.

SO couple of questions or need for a sound wall and other brains than mine right now....

I connected the cluster to 12V and ground. I also connected my ALDL connector to 12V and both the GND and Signal GND to gnd. I then connected the UART line from the dash (green with yellow from memory) to pin 9 ALDL connector (was red on my plug). I suspect that it needs a clock of some description or the BCM to be able to communicate properly. I refuse to believe that Arrow when they had this stuff on the bench would have had a BCM but stranger things have occurred.

any suggestions? i truly am at a loss right at this point. I am trying my VY dash only so that I can get my eye in again and thus then start looking at a VF dash I have on my bench. Although suspect it will be GM LAN and thus will need other things as well.

Is there any way to trick a tech2win device that there is a tech2 on the end without a J2535 pass through? I really don't need yet another cable to loose.

cheers
oldn64
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Bench Setup

Post by antus »

What are you trying to do? The dash doesnt originate any data, you'll want to send it commands to do anything.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
hsv08
cars: (EX) VT SENATOR 355 STROKER
(EX) VT SS 304 MANUAL
NOW VX V6 HACK

Post by hsv08 »

You won’t get any response without a bcm connected
oldn64

Post by oldn64 »

antus wrote:What are you trying to do? The dash doesnt originate any data, you'll want to send it commands to do anything.
Hello Antus,

I know it does not originate command but yes you need to send ti which I have tried but i get no response at all. As mentioned I think I need a BCM which currently I do not have access to, so when I am next at the race car I might have to pull the bcm as well and plug it in.

Net result to answer your question, I am trying to change the fuel gauge as the old cluster and the new cluster are different. I did this ages ago as the fuel tank is not a standard commodore one and wanted to have the right fuel quantity. I have forgotten how I did it originally and thus trying to remember and it seems on the bench is not working for me :( so BCM it is.

I would also love to remove the stupid bells the car has from the removal of all the ABS and airbags, but I suspect this is also a BCM thing not just a dash thing.

Cheers
oldn64
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

I programmed my cluster with arrow years ago on the floor with no bcm and a 2 transistor aldl cable made using the techedge schematic with the diode round the right way.maybe it was a fluke lol
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
oldn64

Post by oldn64 »

delcowizzid wrote:I programmed my cluster with arrow years ago on the floor with no bcm and a 2 transistor aldl cable made using the techedge schematic with the diode round the right way.maybe it was a fluke lol
This is the issue, i am sure i have done this in the lounge room as well. (not with arrow software as i did not have it at that point, and dont have it now due to the programing laptop being stolen from my Car. :( )

Cheers
oldn64

PS: maybe i need to re look at this wiring again.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

What program are you using I know tazzis needs a bcm so does tech 2
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
budwizer

Post by budwizer »

I have successfully programmed a vy/vz cluster without the need for a bcm and wired up as you suggested.

Also if you want to cycle through screens you will need the trip computer button wired in, or a series of resistors that represent each of the buttons. Personally I found it easy with just a tail of the plug wired direct to the pos + neg + and 2 wires for cluster.

You might want to give this a go:
http://1337vending.com/vzclustermod/

you will have to map out the tables 0-9, some things like ODO is not changeable via that, at least as far as I got.
but from memory using the advanced command you can make changes.

Table 6 - Fuel system configuration and calibration.

Hope it helps! :)
oldn64

Post by oldn64 »

budwizer wrote:I have successfully programmed a vy/vz cluster without the need for a bcm and wired up as you suggested.

Also if you want to cycle through screens you will need the trip computer button wired in, or a series of resistors that represent each of the buttons. Personally I found it easy with just a tail of the plug wired direct to the pos + neg + and 2 wires for cluster.

You might want to give this a go:
http://1337vending.com/vzclustermod/

you will have to map out the tables 0-9, some things like ODO is not changeable via that, at least as far as I got.
but from memory using the advanced command you can make changes.

Table 6 - Fuel system configuration and calibration.

Hope it helps! :)
Hello budwizer,

yes i have this but have not gone the next step yet, sort of been a little busy with the business.

I dont care about the odo as this cluster is goign into the VY racecar, so odo could be 800,000 for all I care. My issue is the car is not here so to make the dash work would be great if I dont need to sit in the car and deal with it.

Cheers
oldn64

Cheers
budwizer

Post by budwizer »

Oldn64, well it does work :)
I don't have a vy/vz or a bcm from one. As its for a project. Just wired the obd2 interface directly to the data line and pos/neg to the required areas and am able to communicate/change things on the cluster!

Yeah know the feeling.. always distractions! :(

Feel free to shoot me a pm. If ya need a hand :) although i am sure you'll manage! :)