Sluggish vp t5 v6

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Sluggish vp t5 v6

Post by vlad01 »

yeah I prefer it much more than hard brakes. Only reason its softer with dual booster is because the booster is applying much more force to the point of flexing calipers and expanding lines with little pedal effort, hence the soft feed back. It amplifies the pedal force naturally. I like this because it gives much more precise control and feedback at the pedal, you can actually feel in combo with vibration and steering wheel which wheel locks and where the limits of traction are under braking. I find this impossible to feel with hard brakes and have a sense they have failed, eg driving a ford.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Have also used a single booster, when the 1UZ went in the double didn't clear the valve cover. Was still not what I wanted, but each to their own and what you prefer.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Also forgot to mention there is a rubber pad in the valving inside the boost between the pushrods which contributes to some of the softness which can be felt even with no vacuum in the booster. Perhaps the later boosters are designed a little different?
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
gtrboyy
cars: vp 'moo mang' ute
torana
bombadores

Post by gtrboyy »

So you guys reckon vs booster gives harder pedal while vt booster is softer/spongey pedal?

If that's the case might have to get vs booster as brake performance is same.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

yeah because dual verse single, dual has more pedal force multiplication and feels softer as result.

When I spoke to power brakes in Adelaide I asked them if the VS booster was a good option, their opinion was it was the worst one to use in a conversion for 3 reason, less force, plastic and prone to crack, sealed unit and can't be rebuilt. I can add one more, that they are NLA new and only used.

They reckon for older cars the VH512 is best and similar to the VT onward boosters as they both have similar diaphragm surface area, I recall VT was slightly larger but only by few %.

I'm keen to see how my brakes go now that I have a better than factory rebuilt booster, rebuilt everything and DBA T2s all round. I also decided to ditch the front brake shields as I noted they block 80% at least of the disk air intake. This should allow them too cool off a lot faster and reduce fade.
gtrboyy
torana
bombadores

Post by gtrboyy »

Vp ute not getting driven much as manual is major pain the arse for Sydney traffic...decided to go auto so may as well be v8.

Picked up what looks like reco'd vs 5 litre..looks like was run on lpg maybe has small tow/lpg type cam as found c.o.m.e sticker on memcal,advance extractors etc

Auto has a U.S remanufactured tag on it 7HB D8 + 0207-06566

^^ seems different to other vr/s v8 auto setup in another car I had but assuming it's correct for vs v8 auto.

Got old spare vn v6 engine harness I'll hack up & solder into vs v8 loom it will be plug n play after find out what's in come memcal somehow & get vats turned off.

come memcal has PS266 or P566 written on sticker...anyone know what's in tune or is that customer number?
gtrboyy
torana
bombadores

Post by gtrboyy »

After a little search might be CSBH-266 cam..their base cam or whatever hell that is.

Normal rockers in engine & just v6 supercharged otr....hoping they've had stuff done to auto + small stally put in but doubt.

Still trying to track down vl manual steering rack & vl or vk wagon b/w diff.

Probably use lefover 3.45 gears but also have 4.11 vn & vl sedan diffs as options.

May as well make it as light as I can yet keep it registrable
gtrboyy
torana
bombadores

Post by gtrboyy »

Not been able to do much on this yet still want to source auto pedal box, auto shifter + wiring & centre handbrake.

Did splurge on new rooflining & picked up a cheap vs ute housing with lsd.
gtrboyy
torana
bombadores

Post by gtrboyy »

What is a good clutch for v6 ute to cart engines/roadbase/dirt etc?
(v8 conversion will have to wait)

Just want to renew rego & fix clutch for now...work & house reno put cars on backburner.
oldn64
cars: Vq Statesman, VE SS wagon, VE Sv6, VY SV8, VL Belina

Post by oldn64 »

gtrboyy wrote:What is a good clutch for v6 ute to cart engines/roadbase/dirt etc?
(v8 conversion will have to wait)

Just want to renew rego & fix clutch for now...work & house reno put cars on backburner.
I have used exedy extreme HD before without issues. good clamping force and still sprung, if you go button you will start to break axles and gearboxes with your usage. Have one in my wife's VE SV6 and it tow brilliantly.

Cheers
oldn64