For non EFI mechanical discussion
Madmatt2006
cars: VZ SVZ Commodore
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT

Re: VZ engine swap not running

Post by Madmatt2006 »

Hi Guy's :)

I did the re flashing of the ECU and BCM as 05 and that did not work so also tried program as 04,06,07 still not starting with cam position sensors attached. Got any more ideas? :idea:

when I get home I'm going to try this, start car without cam sensors attached and plug in one at a time to see what happens :?
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Do the cam sensors/trigger wheel and ignition module all need to match the same compatible types?? Maybe there are some other mismatches in those parts.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
oldn64
cars: Vq Statesman, VE SS wagon, VE Sv6, VY SV8, VL Belina

Post by oldn64 »

Hello MadMatt2006,

Hang on.....

lets review, as I sort of agree with Antus but not at the same time.

1. engine you got with car not running (unknown condition and believed as 05)
2. New engine not running (knownish condition and is 05)
3. both engines experience the same thing
4. regardless of the programming the results are the same.

So this brings me to these points.

1. Clearly there is an issue somewhere with the cam sensing circuit.
2. Sensors are assumed the same.

SO.....

like Antus has stated are we sure that the sensors are not the wrong ones???
but before trying this, are all the ground points correct and are we sure the wiring harness is ok. To me there would seem to potentially be something outside of the engine. I would be looking closely at other factors first before venturing down the replacement of sensors and pickup wheels.

Cheers
oldn64
Dazza92VP
cars: 92 VP V8 Wagon

Post by Dazza92VP »

not something simple like the cam sensor plugs are plugged to wrong sensor can they be swapped between intake and exhaust cam?
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

beat me to it :thumbup:
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
Madmatt2006
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT

Post by Madmatt2006 »

antus wrote:Do the cam sensors/trigger wheel and ignition module all need to match the same compatible types?? Maybe there are some other mismatches in those parts.
Hi Guys bit of an update the computers and key head are matching with motor I put in so all same :thumbup:
oldn64 wrote:Hello MadMatt2006,

Hang on.....

lets review, as I sort of agree with Antus but not at the same time.

1. engine you got with car not running (unknown condition and believed as 05)
2. New engine not running (knownish condition and is 05)
3. both engines experience the same thing
4. regardless of the programming the results are the same.

So this brings me to these points.

1. Clearly there is an issue somewhere with the cam sensing circuit.
2. Sensors are assumed the same.

SO.....

like Antus has stated are we sure that the sensors are not the wrong ones???
but before trying this, are all the ground points correct and are we sure the wiring harness is ok. To me there would seem to potentially be something outside of the engine. I would be looking closely at other factors first before venturing down the replacement of sensors and pickup wheels.

Cheers
oldn64

So the computers and engine cam sensors match all out of the car from engine swap I triple check that are plugged into right sensors (can't mix they will not reach). More information on what I tried and results, I really appreciate all the help :thumbup:

motor running but I have issues with right side inlet cam sensor wiring or possibly something else is interfering with it!

So here is what I have to do to get it to start. plugin all four cam sensors, turn engine over is pops and crackles no starting. Next unplug all cam sensors turn engine over it starts! (runs rough). Next I plugin left exhaust cam sensor ( while running ) then I plugin left inlet cam sensor engine runs smoother. Next I plugin right exhaust cam sensor ( while running ) engine start running real good smooth, then I plugin right inlet cam sensor kills engine stops running! So do the same thing to get it running again and just plugin right inlet cam sensor it kills the motor!

Looks like has to do with right inlet cam sensor

things I have tried
1. new cam sensor on right inlet. no change still have to do all the stuff to get it running.
2. tried 2 ECU's and BCM same result!

I'm going to check wires see picture
ecu pin out jc.png
ecu pin out jc.png (395.93 KiB) Viewed 4433 times
What else could be the cause :? the only wiring that is original is the loom from ECU into cabin if that helps :hmm:
Last edited by Madmatt2006 on Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Mechanical fault, pull the rocker covers and check the position of the trigger wheel in relation to the camshaft, I've seen the pulley flog out the dowel pin and rotate....
Madmatt2006
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT

Post by Madmatt2006 »

Biggvl wrote:Mechanical fault, pull the rocker covers and check the position of the trigger wheel in relation to the camshaft, I've seen the pulley flog out the dowel pin and rotate....
sounds like it could be this, but this motor was running before swap apparently. would this stop the motor from starting with all cam sensors plugged in?

I will check wires and trigger wheel in relation to the camshaft. Is there any way to check trigger wheel through cams position sensor hole in block? or have to rip top off motor?
I recon you might be right because if I plug in a spare cam sensor into right hand inlet out of the block it keeps running :thumbup:

See the thing that is weird, once it starts and I run it with the 3 working cam sensors, once I turn the engine off it might start 1 more time with the 3 connected then it will pop and crackle until I unplug all off them, then turn it over a few times with them all off, then connect all 4 sensors then turn over a few times pops and crackles, then unplug all 4 turn over pop crackle, turn ignition off/ on quick it starts :wtf:

once I do the above it always dies on right inlet cam sensor.

sorry about all my editing (trying to make as clear as possible) :thumbup:
Madmatt2006
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT

Post by Madmatt2006 »

Sorry to be a pain Guy's

I've been reading around a bit more, is this possible? :idea: looking at wiring diagram sensor 132 (oil pressure sensor ) runs on the A7 connection, same as cam sensors.
ecu pin out.PNG
ecu pin out.PNG (349.23 KiB) Viewed 4422 times
ecu pin out 1.PNG
ecu pin out 1.PNG (468.99 KiB) Viewed 4422 times
the reason I ask is some one had a similar problem here https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/th ... ump.87114/

can (oil pressure sensor ) cut the fuel or mess with the sensors. I noticed on the old motor it was a little different. one the sensor plugs right in near oil filter, other one has brass bit between near oil filter and plug.

the car never actually starts with the cam sensors in, I have to unplug them to get it to start. then plug them in.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

The oil sensor can go short and blow the sensor fuse yes, but you will have many other issues with sensors.

What fault codes do you have when its running??