VZ engine swap not running

For non EFI mechanical discussion
Madmatt2006
cars: VZ SVZ Commodore
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT

Re: VZ engine swap not running

Post by Madmatt2006 »

I will get it running tonight and see what codes are there, thanks Biggvl :thumbup: the odd thing is it never starts with the sensors plugged in even the 3 cam sensors that don't kill it! very odd! always have to be unplugged to get it to start.

Even though CAM sensors match the motor and ECU and BCM and key head. they are all out of the car the replacement motor came from.
Madmatt2006
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT

Post by Madmatt2006 »

Hi Guy's a bit of an update.

I spoke to the guy I got the ute off about stuff he had tired. He was driving it home one day and it just dies this is the original motor, after lots of messing around he had come to the conclusion it was the timing chains on the original motor, so he replaced them with a proper set from Holden, he recons he did it right, he sounded like he knew what he as doing, after he replaced the he still has same issue popping misfire (no start). So he sent his ECU BCM PIM and Key head to be tested all checked out ok :roll: he figured has to be stuffed motor, So he replaced it and to his disbelief it would not start :wtf: So he listed it on gumtree. I was the unlucky bugger to purchase the nightmare :lol:

So when I got it home I tried a few things to get it going, it never gives error codes so to make sure it was all working I unplugged fuel pump relay scan tool picked it up strait away, so it confirms computer are recording errors. So I figured maybe it's a stretched timing chain, but really it should throw errors for that issue! anyway I ripped the motor apart and replaced them and the gears and tentioners, yes I used cam locks so all aligned perfect. put back together same shit popping misfire (no start) you would not believe the profanities that came out of my mouth :rant: :rant: :wall: :comp: :evil:

So I thought screw this let's hit this nail on the head :x I purchased a complete replacement engine Yes that's right engine number 3 in the ute OMFG this has to work :hmm: engine 3 is complete motor with engine loom and all accessories (everything) sensors, packs, starter, alt even the friken air box and the computers ECU BCM, so everything! :thumbup:

So swap it all over (everything) no shit... :thumbup: go to start it but it would not turn over because ECU BCM out of auto, so I got them reprogrammed at my place all worked this guy has done it many many times. Cross fingers and pray this thing will start :( guess what popping misfire (no start) at this stage I ram for a BOX OF MATCHES but the misses stopped me :rant: :wall:

So all that is left original is the in cabin wiring that goes from ECU to inside cabin.

I even called the guy I got engine no.3 off, he promises it was a runner and cannot understand why not running. it was running in a car less than 3 weeks ago...

Last night I changed all cam sensors and crank sensor and tested cam sensor voltage pin1 0V (pulse wire) pin 2 & 3 5V same across all cam sensors. Still no start :wall:

I was so happy :D when it started by suggestion to unplug cam sensors really though was getting some where. Why would it only start with cam sensor disconnected? it never starts with them connected. when I start the car and plug them in it always dies on right intake cam sensor.

3 motors so it cant be cam sensor or plate it reads.

any suggestions would be great!

Anyone know someone in The Goulburn Valley Victoria that could fix this?
Last edited by Madmatt2006 on Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Post by Tazzi »

Is there an engine light displaying before trying to start the car at all?
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
Madmatt2006
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT

Post by Madmatt2006 »

Tazzi wrote:Is there an engine light displaying before trying to start the car at all?
Hi Mate :) I think there is I will double check tonight and post back.
Madmatt2006
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT

Post by Madmatt2006 »

A quick question, whats the PIM module do? could that be the cause? that is original never changed it's above the BCM. I have no idea what the PIM controls.
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

Madmatt2006 wrote:A quick question, whats the PIM module do? could that be the cause? that is original never changed it's above the BCM. I have no idea what the PIM controls.
Ah theres your problem.

The security modules in your car are:
- ECM
- BCM and key
- PIM

They ALL need to be linked together otherwise vehicle will not start

The purpose of the PIM is to translate the data from the ECM to the rest of the car (BCM, cluster ect).
Madmatt2006
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT

Post by Madmatt2006 »

Hi Tazzi

The ECM BCM and PIM and keyhead are all linked :thumbup: that's what my programing guy did when he changed programing to manual and then linked them all up I had to get the security codes for him to do that.

I have had 2 BCM ECM programed but always linked to original PIM

will a faulty PIM cause problem with the car starting?

Remember car will start only with cam sensors unplugged.
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

If PIM was faulty, car wouldnt start as the ECM would not get the "OK" flag from the BCM.

May need to see what fault codes are present before making any other drastic changes/costs
Madmatt2006
VH Commodore
JZZ30 Soarer GTT

Post by Madmatt2006 »

Tazzi wrote:If PIM was faulty, car wouldnt start as the ECM would not get the "OK" flag from the BCM.

May need to see what fault codes are present before making any other drastic changes/costs
well one less thing it could be then, it's not the PIM. Thanks mate :thumbup:

I will post a video so every one can see what it's doing tonight.
oldn64
cars: Vq Statesman, VE SS wagon, VE Sv6, VY SV8, VL Belina

Post by oldn64 »

Madmatt2006 wrote:Hi Tazzi

The ECM BCM and PIM and keyhead are all linked :thumbup: that's what my programing guy did when he changed programing to manual and then linked them all up I had to get the security codes for him to do that.

I have had 2 BCM ECM programed but always linked to original PIM

will a faulty PIM cause problem with the car starting?

Remember car will start only with cam sensors unplugged.

Hang on, lets go back a little......The motor runs with the cam sensors unplugged. This means it cannot be your security, as this is initiated before a start. Definitely look at the wiring side. Do you have a scan tool or access to one? The Engine light will probably be due to the unplugged sensors so you would need to clear those or at least read them to get half a clue. I would clear codes. plug all sensors in. Turn engine over and see whether there is a code fault logged. then look at this as a start. This is going to take a long time to diagnose. Plod away and see what you can find.

This definitely sounds like wiring or like BIGGVL has stated a mech issue, However, the fact it run without the sensors and the engine is smooth then i lean more to electrical.
?

Cheers
oldn64
If you plugg the "suss" sensor in first then does the engin just die