Immortalities totally random thread

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
oldn64
cars: Vq Statesman, VE SS wagon, VE Sv6, VY SV8, VL Belina

Re: Immortalities totally random thread

Post by oldn64 »

immortality wrote: I'm thinking maybe the front subframe bushes need replacement ASAP. Then to figure out how to get the whole subframe back into alignment.
That I would not be suprised with. Most IRS in the VP/Q- VX s2 are shagged. However, I would not expect a shagged bush to push the diff backwards. There also is four bolts on the top of the cradle and they need to be far tight. All the manuals state x lbs then 1/4 or 1/2 turn on the subframe bolts. These are torque to yield and will need replacement once undone. The bushes are a pill to swap and the cradles are painful when needing to drop and service the bushes. Good luck. I actually have to do a rear end bush upgrade on the back of a VE wagon but I am not looking forward to it either. $1400 of parts later and i just need the time to do it. SO sick of IRS give me a live axle anyday.

cheers
oldn64
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Subaru is been troublesome again. Was good for about 5 days except one time it stalled idling. Then on Friday evening it wouldn't idle and was missing. All seems very odd as it had been idling mint since re doing the plugs. I've put in a fuel pressure gauge to monitor pressures. Been driven twice since with no problems. ...

On a more positive note, the Calais is handling much better. More confident putting the power down.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Back to the Subaru again...

New/more symptoms.

The boy noted some times it takes longer to heat up than other times which explains the fault coder 128 (thermostat). It's now also throwing a code 15 but that doesn't seem to match anything for this model car?

It's driven fine for 4 days, today on his way home it wouldn't start. When it won't start it's like it has a bad battery, basically it won't turn it over (battery is less than 1 year old and is fully charged). When it was idling rough he checked the fuel pressure which was about 36psi.

I'm starting to think it's a slowly failing timing sensor (cam or crank, not sure what the Subaru has)? Any thoughts or suggestions on how to test or diagnose?

Thanks
oldn64
cars: Vq Statesman, VE SS wagon, VE Sv6, VY SV8, VL Belina

Post by oldn64 »

immortality wrote:Back to the Subaru again...

New/more symptoms.

The boy noted some times it takes longer to heat up than other times which explains the fault coder 128 (thermostat). It's now also throwing a code 15 but that doesn't seem to match anything for this model car?

It's driven fine for 4 days, today on his way home it wouldn't start. When it won't start it's like it has a bad battery, basically it won't turn it over (battery is less than 1 year old and is fully charged). When it was idling rough he checked the fuel pressure which was about 36psi.

I'm starting to think it's a slowly failing timing sensor (cam or crank, not sure what the Subaru has)? Any thoughts or suggestions on how to test or diagnose?

Thanks

Hmmm this is almost starting to sound like an electrical issue. IE a loose ground or resistive connection. Might be worthwhile reseating all plugs to ECU and the wiring loom. I have had a similar issue on my VE SS s2 for the oil sensor. The sensor is find but the plug is not so good. I am almost to the stage of trying to find another wiring harness to swap it over. Dont ignore the fuse block. It is amazing what a reseat of a fuse can do. I know it is a pain but it costs nothing and I have fixed a number of issues this way. IF there is also a perished boot then the connector will not seal from the elements properly either.

Cheers
oldn64
immortality

Post by immortality »

It's always a good day when car parts arrive :)
0-02-07-4d226e7d58b96ffd985f36766713e7e4e6070622d493c4226bbea95df368009e_451ef2bc.jpg
A big thanks to Steve @ MACE for organising this for me. From Melbourne to my door in under a week.

Ohh, can anybody remember what size bolts are used on the old balancer to remove it? I've lost mine so need to buy some more :(

Also, on a positive note, since doing the rear shocks and diff mount the car has transformed how it drives. Corners much better and flatter which i'm really surprised about. The ass end is no longer like a big soft couch like a standard Calais. I like it :)
oldn64 wrote:
immortality wrote:Back to the Subaru again...

New/more symptoms.

Thanks

Hmmm this is almost starting to sound like an electrical issue. IE a loose ground or resistive connection. Might be worthwhile reseating all plugs to ECU and the wiring loom. I have had a similar issue on my VE SS s2 for the oil sensor. The sensor is find but the plug is not so good. I am almost to the stage of trying to find another wiring harness to swap it over. Dont ignore the fuse block. It is amazing what a reseat of a fuse can do. I know it is a pain but it costs nothing and I have fixed a number of issues this way. IF there is also a perished boot then the connector will not seal from the elements properly either.

Cheers
oldn64
It is odd. I've already gone through and done the earths. I have pulled some fuses and relays but not all. It's got me stumped however more and more I suspect either the crank sensor or cam sensor. What ever it is, it is slowly getting worse. Sometimes it runs fine 3 or 4 days but now it's getting a little more frequent. Last time he drove it, it played up a little (started running a little rough) during the drive but then cleared itself and continued on fine. We checked it twice yesterday and it started and idled fine.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

1/4" UNF pretty sure.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Definitely not 1/4" UNF. Doesn't even really start. A M6 bolt goes in about 3-4 threads and then locks up so that makes me think M6 fine thread.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Back to the Subaru...

Bit the bullet and took it to get scanned this morning. 2 faults logged, first been the bank 1 O2 heater circuit low.... and the 2nd been a cam angle position sensor but, the guys says the problem may be the alternator. He said when the alternator starts to die it can upset the cam sensors so the first thing now is to wait till it plays up and unplug the alternator and if the problem clears than a new alternator is needed otherwise it's a cam sensor.

Ohh, the balancer bolts aren't 1/4" UNC either....
immortality

Post by immortality »

Scrounged up some more bolts but nothing fits. Have tried 1/4" UNC and UNF as well as M6 x 1.0 and 0.75. The closest fit was M6 x 1.0 which went in about 4 threads.

edit: threads are full of shit. Fairly sure now it is 1/4" UNF. Just need to slowly clean out the threads :(
immortality

Post by immortality »

Job done. 1/4" UNF it is. Threads were probably full of crap and a bit of rust to boot. Took ages to clean out and work a bolt into each but we got there in the end. Half way through the job the weather decided to set in...
0-02-07-fed8bd99809646dbbace8c0f87202d157cb1f17a78bb3e1cd7b8b89c632f04e3_72bd722d.jpg
0-02-07-40ba23c51eb6ef5d45eef9af649a4ab2e47d9b2a2013f0764899fa40a966b4ec_b0b20661.jpg
0-02-07-12e5bd9953985e0b73cbf1c613e773dece01f623bfa9048c658bb40c9a7ba0dd_90fa09e8.jpg
0-02-07-90e1e095edea8434bafe78a71bfd28ba8580b93268663897e5573bc62770fc23_21bfe658.jpg
Still need to revisit the torquing of the retaining bolt, I don't have a way to hold the new balancer whilst tightening it. Ended up using the same belt, we just managed to get it on. A smaller pulley should fix that problem though :)

Also been out in the Subaru a number of times today waiting for it to fault to test the alternator theory but now once again it won't play up...